Dubai debts now being chased via my new employer

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 601 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone. So glad this group exists! I’ve been pouring over the threads for the last few days. 

Left approx £60k of credit card and loan debt behind in Dubai owing to covid job loss. Still unemployed here in UK (despite best efforts) so attempting payment plans direct with the back isn’t an option yet. 

Been back for around 8 months and I’m currently staying with family as I don’t own a property here or anywhere else. 

Recently received a first letter from IDR for HSBC. 

I think I’m safe to ignore for now but just wanted to ask if you think I should confirm the postal address for them to avoid back door CCJ’s to prior UK addresses if they continue to get no response here.

I’m listed on the electoral register at the address they’ve written to me at and haven’t lived elsewhere in the UK since 2008. I also have a bank account and a credit card (0 balance!) at this address too. 

Thanks folks. 

You deal directly with hsbc and update them.

Dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you dx.

So If I ensure that my UAE banks have a current address in the UK then any future back door CCJ’s can be challenged? I continue to ignore IDS unless they send genuine legal proceedings via a solicitor?

Post is tricky in UAE though - will emails to the banks suffice?

IDR don't own the debt so can't issue a court claim themselves.

they would have to be instructed by the owner of the debt HSBC, who would be the claimant.

you can't 'challenge' a backdoor CCJ as if you don't keep the debt owner updated with your correct address you won't know about it.

protect against that happening and it can't happen.

email is fine.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

It’s been reassuring to read here that HSBC will continue to own the debt. Is there any pattern with what prompts banks to go down a legal route? And are there circumstances where UAE banks do actually sell the debt on to the likes of IDS?

I will formally notify the bank of my current UK address. Even if I do that though isn’t there a huge incentive for banks and their agents to deliberately send legal paperwork to old addresses to obtain a CCJ by default? IF that were to happen and it was discovered through credit agencies could it be set aside if you proved you had provided the bank with the correct address? 

Just thinking through the permutations and trying to figure it out.

Help much appreciated. 

The bank must abide by the pre action protocol letter of claim .

not seen any hsbc ones here i don't think, neither their selling on of debts.

Dx

and they

Thank you so much. 

And just thinking more about the UAE banks. What would you recommend in terms of communication with them, aside from clear confirmation of my Uk address?

I’m really not in a position to enter into a any sort of payment plan but would like to discharge the debt at some point (though I don’t know how realistic that is). 

Will I prejudice myself in the future if I don’t now ask them for a hardship consideration?  Offsetting of interest/charges etc?

Or should I say nothing further and rely on limitations on the collection of the debt years down the line? 

Just keep hsbc updated

see what gives

and they

• 1 year later...

Yes some foreign companies find your details online and try to embarrass you into contacting them.

Don't be fooled by this.  They may have no legal connection with the debt.

Tell your employers that this is an attempted scam and you are still in contact with HSBC regarding an old account with them. And this company trying to make contact appear to have got hold of some information and you will report this back to HSBC as a problem.

As you have informed HSBC of your current address, no need to contact them, but you could alert them to this problem you have had, concerned about a possible leak of your data. 

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thank you for the quick reply. 

Not fooled as I know debt collectors can be ignored but hard when it’s not you they are harassing. 

Employer is supportive so far…

Leak did not come from HSBC as they do not know my employer details.  What’s the value in raising concern with HSBC? 

Appreciate your advice.

This debt collection company know you have a debt, so someone has passed on this info. Who ?  HSBC, HSBC employee ? . They then search UK online sites and databases and find your employment information.

Do you use Facebook, LinkedIn or other social media ? If so, make it all private and see who is following your accounts, removing anyone you don't know really well

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

old and new threads merged.

dx

and they

If all your information is 'private', this then raises questions as to how they got hold of your employment details.

Have seen media stories on data being sold and shared unlawfully by companies.

All you can do is see this as an attempted scam.

Keep HSBC informed of any change of address, if this were to happen in the future and see if HSBC ever decide to try to enforce the debt in the UK.

haven't heard from Tamayez harassing UK debtors in quite a while here.

but what you have experienced is just the tip of the illegal and unlawful tactics Tamayez always were renown for using.

sadly not alot can be done bar a written complaint to HSBC, and their UAE wing wouldn't get a flying... about it. 

and they