Can I take ebay to court for full reimbursement of a damaged item?

sund1ata
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 630 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello All, 

1. What happened

I recently sold an phone on ebay. The buyer decided to return it (he lied about the battery being defective). 

ebay debited my account to pay the buyer, I got my phone back.

When I tried to turn it on, it wouldn't start, so I took it to a phone shop. They said it was water damaged. "Maybe he dropped it in the toilet?"

2. Appealing to ebay

Rightly, I complained and made an appeal. A few days later, they sent me an email: "Congratulations! You've won. We shall send you a partial refund." 

They offered to send me 50%!

I don't accept 50% and have told them so. I have a broken phone, and they expect me to take the hit!

3. What is the problem?

At no point did they say my refund would be half the item - not on the phone, nor by email. Their language is misleading, and they did not communicate it would be half.

That's not a "win". Purely because of their miscommunication, I don't accept the sum they have offered and want a full reimbursement.

4. What Can I Do Now?

I want to take them to the Small Claims Court. They have set up arbitrary rules, completely opaque to the user. It's their "kingdom" and

they appear to do what they like. I very much doubt any common-sense test would equate half an item's value to a "win" or "partial" refund.

Do I have any basis on which to take ebay to court?

Thanks.

Capital One Data Protection Act sent (15th December, 2008)

Barclaycard Data Protection Act sent (15th December, 2008)

Lloyds TSB Data Protection Act sent on three accounts - Current, Business & Credit Card (15th December, 2008)

Water damage is the typical get out reason for mobile phone people when it means ...I don't really know.

You will have a hard time proving who did the damage hence I think eBay are actually being quite unusually generous here, they typically will simply fob you off with nothing 

How do you pay PayPal? If the money shows on your bank statement, go do a chargeback with your bank. It will kill your eBay account but simply open a new one under diff info 

Dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...