Car insurance withdrawn indemnity and repudiated claim

lynzmeek
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 635 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi sorry if this I posted in wrong place

Im hoping someone can help me

.in July 2019 my son stole my car and crashed into a lamppost and a house.

He went to crown court where he was given a ban and a fine and told to pay the house insurance excess as he didn't have the money to pay for damages.

My insurance had paid indemnity as they said they had a legal obligation. This was for the lamppost he damaged.

He has just received a letter from my insurance saying indemnity has been withdrawn and they repudiated the claim and they are now seeking the reimbursement of the costs of £1462.09.

Can they do this?

Also he doesn't have this amount of money to be able to pay.

I would be grateful for any help you can give

No this is the first letter we have had. We didn't know anything about it until he got this letter

Sorry I have just read the letter again it says it was withdrawn due to you (my son) taking our insured (myself) car without consent

The answer is yes they can claim from your Son.  Under Roat Traffic Acts the Insurers of the Car would have to pay the third party and then they come after the responsible party for the money.

Your Sons needs to contract them to make an affordable repayment arrangement.  But make sure if they decline any offer of payment,  that they are asked to confirm in writing that they have declined.   If he does not do this, they may well take him to civil court and gain a CCJ against him.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

It is the way Insurance claims work.  There is lengthy correspondence between the Insurance companies involved and they always query that the amount being settled is the minimum cost.

And we had Covid in the middle of the period the various parties were engaging with each other. 

This will be one claim amongst the thousands of other claims they are handling.

It has taken awhile, but I have seen these timescales before.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

To help you understand why they can do this, forget for a moment it was your son.

Let's say it was a complete stranger who took your car. Your insurers pay out because they are obliged to under the Road Traffic Act (as above). But that payment comes from the premiums paid by all their customers (including you).

When they insured your car they took on the risk based on who they were told would be driving it, which presumably did not include anybody who might steal it.

They based the premium on that information. Now, somebody who they had not agreed to cover has caused damage by driving it.

Why should they (i.e. their policyholders) meet the costs of the claim?

Edited by dx100uk
Spacing
  • Like 1