Halifax rolling over

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1903 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can you survive without the overdraft? It would be nice to get rid of the Halifax. If you use your new account well you'll probably get an overdraft with them within 6 months anyway.

I've always run both accounts in tandem and had £2k overdraft between them, I'm currently in the black in both accounts, I guess I just don't like the idea of losing the facility, it just means that I will have to find an extra £1000 this month to pay bills etc, which isn't then end of the world, just a pain.

I guess I'm just wondering about the legality of them closing the account because of me reclaiming their illegal charges, especially in light of the OFT's statement on the matter. What in effect they are saying is 'if we can't operate your account legally, we'll close it down' Surely that can't be right?

I'm pretty sure they do have the right to close down your account. Have a look at their T&Cs.

I know what you mean about having the overdraft facility but I would certainly benefit from not having one - basically because I'm crap with money!

By the way, I can't believe that the buggers have charged you another £450 since your victory. Idiots!

I can't believe I allowed myself to be charged £450! But then a lot of those charges were incured while I was waiting for them to pay up.

I can't believe I allowed myself to be charged £450!

Oh well, hopefully when we've all got our hard earned cash back we'll not incur anymore ridculous charges. I for one can't be arsed to keep fighting them in court. Congrats on your win by the way. Hopefully my £5k will be winging it's way to me soon.

If they take that line with me I'll copy it straight to Watchdog, Which?, Trading Standards and the national papers.

Cheers.

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Halifax joint a/c (£3800 charges + £40 interest on charges over 11 years) - paid in full 23/06/06

Halifax joint a/c new charges £1100 - LBA sent 02/08/06

Halifax 2nd a/c (£1500 charges + £150 interest on charges) - partial payment received 13/07/06 (no s69 interest) - AQ filed 07/08/06 - Court awarded 50% of s69 interest (Bank didn't turn up!)

Halifax Visa (#1) Data Protection Act sent - statements arrived - £350 so far

Halifax Visa (#2) Data Protection Act sent - refunded £170

DONATE - Support this site, it supported you!

Follow the route: FAQs > Template Library > Parachute Account > Bank Forums > Spreadsheet

All advice given in good faith and without prejudice or liability, to be taken at your own risk!

If they take that line with me I'll copy it straight to Watchdog, Which?, Trading Standards and the national papers.

Cheers.

Which is what I have threatened them with, maximum publicity. My fear is, that may actually be in their favour, if I'm making a lot of noise because my account was canceled, that may deter people from making claims. Its a tough one.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think many people would be that frightened of having their account closed especially if if meant they would get hundreds of pounds back from charges.

In the end its the Halifax who lose out as there are plenty of other banks about and without customers the Halifax can't survive.

Nationwide:

DPA Letter sent 10th May, Received 1st June, calculated approx £330 charges, Prelim to sent soon.

Egg

£60 Charges - Pre Letter sent 23rd May, declined refund,

Halifax

£39 Charge - Pre Letter sent 23rd May, Halifax have agreed to refund the £39

I understand what you're saying, but I feel it would be a good way to publicise the charges and the vindictive action taken by the bank because they lost the argument and had to pay up.

Cheers.

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Halifax joint a/c (£3800 charges + £40 interest on charges over 11 years) - paid in full 23/06/06

Halifax joint a/c new charges £1100 - LBA sent 02/08/06

Halifax 2nd a/c (£1500 charges + £150 interest on charges) - partial payment received 13/07/06 (no s69 interest) - AQ filed 07/08/06 - Court awarded 50% of s69 interest (Bank didn't turn up!)

Halifax Visa (#1) Data Protection Act sent - statements arrived - £350 so far

Halifax Visa (#2) Data Protection Act sent - refunded £170

DONATE - Support this site, it supported you!

Follow the route: FAQs > Template Library > Parachute Account > Bank Forums > Spreadsheet

All advice given in good faith and without prejudice or liability, to be taken at your own risk!

I recently won a substantial amount from the Halifax, most of it went to repaying debts. Since I won in February, they have made imposed another £450 of charges against me.

I called them to discuss this, and they say if I make another claim against them they will give me 30 days notice that they will close the account. I have a second account with Natwest to fall back on but will obviously lose the £1000 overdraft facility in the Halifax account.

Opinions/advice?

Go for the charges if they close your account because you have claimed off of them they are breaking the law ( this is what I am led to believe ) I am sure its in the FAQs somewhere

:) Go on ... you know you want to click me :)

:lol:don't be like the banks - give a little back :lol:

:D There was a time before CAG but now CAG is here we are the empowered! :D

In progress:

Mechs and Mother (deceased) V Halifax - N1 form filed at Court 9 Aug 06

Advice & opinions of mechs, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Ok, after successfully reclaiming my charges from both Halifax and Natwest, I'm looking in to claiming back prior to 1999.

Things have changed since I made my first claim, and I'm struggling to find a concise explanation of contractual interest and any definitive info about the successes of overcoming the limitation act. If someone could point me in the direction of the relevant threads it would be much appreciated.

My specific questions are as follows.

1. Were the bank claims not to keep records beyond 6 years, how does one obtain the info needed to make the claim, do you use an estimated amount?

2. My settlement from Halifax said it was in full and final settlement, I was not required to sign anything. Am I still entitled to make a second claim?

Thanks for the help.

• 2 months later...

I run one of these claim companies and I know that a lot of you disagree with them and that's not what I'm posting about. However, I have just settled a £7k claim with them at the LBA stage. Is this normal practice now, are they settling everyones claim at the LBA stage?

Any useful info and contacts I will endevour to pass on.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/06/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support their.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1903 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks