Driving a Vehicle 240 miles without tax & Mot.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 627 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have my late uncles Disco 3 which my Aunty had asked me to take care of.

Only issue being, it is out of MOT and is 240 miles away, to get it transported up here on a trailer is circa £550.

Having read the DVLA website regarding vehicles with no MOT being driven on a public road, it states that it can be driven if the vehicle is pre booked in for it's MOT at a garage.

I would insure it, obviously, and have it booked in at my local garage for it's MOT up here.

I'm guessing most knee jerk reactions will be to stick it on a trailer and get it up here, but I'm curious to hear if anyone has any other ideas, as it doesn't state how near, or far, the garage has to be to get it MOT'd.??

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

no you are correct.

though i had trouble getting insurance for a disco 2 from essex to far NE scotland!!

no MOT no ins most claimed as refusal, used a local broker, person to person chat, sorted for £127 for the full 12mts, and it passed even on the emissions!!

dx

• Like 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I considered this a few years ago when bringing back my UK registered car from a spell outside the EU. 

There is no requirement that the MOT is booked near to the point of entry to UK, the place of registration, the place of SORN (which is not disclosed) or anywhere else. It just has to be pre-booked and the car only used for going to and from the testing station appointment.

I read somewhere  (but can't remember where) that it had even been determined acceptable to break the journey for refreshment and rest (overnight) - as long as it was still reasonably en-route. 

• Thanks 1

Yes that was confirmed during covid eu/uk travel bans for RVer's who could not return to the uk as their uk mot had expired and needed too.

Dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you both, that's cleared that up, speaking to my Aunty the vehicle is SORN, insurance will have to be very particular so as you say DX a phone call to the insurers explaining what it is I am doing will be needed.

I would like to get it up to my address the day before it's MOT but I fear that might be pushing my luck somewhat, although, I could book the MOT into a garage up the road in the same town, drive it here in the morning, then cancel the MOT so I am then able to do any remedial work to it, bulbs wipers and give it a good clean, and then book it into my preferred garage 40 mins away?

In essence, I'm wanting to get the Disco to my address without forking out over 500 sovs but keeping the right side of the law, just flexing the rules somewhat.....

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

you dont need to drive up only a day or too before the booked MOT. nothing stipulates that.

i got ours up for the very reason you did on a sunday, the mot was not till thursday. that i explained to the broker gave me time to address any issues over the long 800mls drive that might come up in case a stop over/repairs were needed en route and to giveme time to give it a once over front to back upon arrival before the test. that was not an issue. 

the insurance was with hastings at the end of the day, they had no issues and even offered 24hrs free full recovery to destination if i did breakdown.

dx

• Thanks 1

and they

Brilliant thank you DX, that's a weight off, and saves me a wedge too!

I'll try Hastings and have a chat with them,

A Sunday seems the most obvious day to travel up. Thanks once again DX!

Hang on, hate to drop a spanner in the works but you said it's SORN?

That means it will generate an automatic fine if it's seen on ANPR on a public road and you can't tax it without a valid MOT.

Food for thought?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well it will definitely get pinged by ANPR between the Midlands and Northumberland, I can't tax it, obviously, I can insure it for the journey, and AFAIK the only way to 'unsorn' the vehicle is to tax it?

Hmmmm:noidea:

• Like 1

ours was the same. had been sorn 8mts. godsend was the v5c was in our name already. yours is not?

its a risk yes, but if you tax asap after the mot pass the DVLA shouldn't be a problem even if it is pinged.

• Like 1

and they

the otherway is to totally wing it as long as the driver has third party ins covering driving other vehicles on their ins.

its only 240mls! not like ours almost 900mls. then deal with everything later.

also it might be better to get the v5c in your name 1st ....how quick is the vehicle wanted?

and they

Homer67

Not so. 

https://www.gov.uk/sorn-statutory-off-road-notification

About 2/3rd way down, the last item 'After you make a SORN' and sub-Heading 'When you can drive your vehicle'. 

It says "You can only drive a vehicle with a SORN on a public road to go to or from a pre-booked MOT or other testing appointment."

In the event of an ANPR "automatic fine" they should be referred to the MOT testing station to confirm the appointment had been made. It might be that such information is already automatically in the database that they check before firing off any fines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's no urgency getting it here, I just think my Aunty wants it gone, less stress for her, I'll ask her about getting the V5 put in my name before I start making any plans.

Winging it is more my style.

Just read that once the vehicle is in my name the SORN doesn't carry over, so will technically just be untaxed and no MOT... https://www.webuyanycar.com/guides/car-ownership/sorn-meaning/

What happens if I buy a car with a SORN?

If you buy a car and the previous owner had the car registered with a SORN, it’s important to know that the SORN does not transfer over. As the new legal owner of the vehicle, you must register a new SORN in your name.

Oppositely, if you are selling a car that is registered with a SORN, the new owner should be made aware that they will have to register the vehicle as off-road in their own name if they do not wish to tax, insure and drive it straight away. You can find a more extensive list of pitfalls to avoid when selling a car here.

Edited by Bazooka Boo