Erudio Loan Terminated and Unable to access further student finance

BirderZee
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 725 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

I've been reading many of these posts in order to gain an understanding and how to move forward on my predicament!

Before I start the ball rolling - I want to ensure this is the right course of action for my circumstances - so here is a breakdown of my pained dealings with Erudio:

My loan with (then SLC) Erudio relate to 1994 - 1996. 

I've never earned above the threshold and have deferred every year since graduating in 1999.

I've checked my online SLC account - and have 'End of Deferment Pack from December 2005 - December 2013 - then nothing further

My account was terminated by Erudio in October 2019. This was because I was unable to defer by their online Portal - so I emailed them my payslips showing that I did not meet the threshold and that this should be enough in order to defer my repayment

They terminated because they did not receive the deferment form several weeks later

I am currently in the last months of my City & Guilds Qualification; and it wasn't until March this year that Student Finance finally explained why I wasn't eligible for an  Adult Learner Loan. So currently I owe my College £4.5K in tuition fees. My college have been useless and have left me to resolve.

After reading many posts and threads - there maybe a chance I could get the deferment reinstated - and I could reapply for student finance as at this time I have no way to fund my second year.

So:

I will send a SAR to Erudio

Complete the old style Student Loan Deferment Forms for the years 2019, 2020, 2021 retrospectively (Question: would I need to provide evidence I was under the threshold?)

Send these forms to the Student Loan Company, with an official complaint along the lines of:  how they have treated you and that you do not accept your loans are terminated and that should they continue with this unlawful termination and not accept and confirm your deferment, you will be immediately be contacting the FOS without notice to them.

also note that the FOS have already reprimanded Erudio several times upon such actions

IS THERE ANYTHING MORE I NEED TO DO?

Of note is on a letter from Erudio, it stated (in February 2022); that my account has been outsourced to a third party. I've yet to receive any correspondence from this third party!!! I've asked this question to Erudio and Still no response.

Thank you so much for the knowledge and guidance,

Ze.

story is a wee bit jumbled...

but i will guess you've not ever successfully deferred at all to erudio since the mass gov't sale of all these loans to them. (Erudio is Arrows DCA in sheeps clothing, part of the same group are capquest and ofcourse their in house sols dryden fairfax - hence the outsourced comment - its not actually going anywhere...).....is this correct?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Sorry for being a bit jumbled

For the years after the sell off (2013)  to 2019, when my account was terminated, I had successfully deferred every year to Erudio. I had never had any issues in those intermediate years, only until this termination due to their online portal.

I've read many of your advice guidance and comments and yes, now  I'm fully aware now what these muppets are! Grurr.... Thank you!

Are you sure you can get student finance from Student Finance England for the Course you are completing ?

Is the basis of your thread that you want to defer the previous loan debt from October 2019 to the current date, so you can apply for student finance, if available ?  That seems like a very long shot !

Read the terms of your original loans to see whether they include any terms about backdating deferment. I suspect that the legislation Government passed for these loan types, included strict rules regarding deferment.   If you are not sure, why not contact Student Finance England to ask about backdating deferment rules for loans taken out 1994-1996.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi 

Yes when I first started the C&G Land & Wildlife course, I was told it was easy to apply for an advanced learner loan - as the course is a level 3 Technical Diploma. Land based employment is currently suffering a skills shortage and the application for student finance would be straight forward.

I applied in October 2021 and was denied every month due to outstanding arrears. I was told every month by Student Finance that it was because of my Honours Student Loans, arrears of £87 was hampering my eligibility. This £87 was due to a late deferment and I had to pay one month of the loan repayment.

(I attended University 1994 - 1999 and took out 4 loans. I've never hit the threshold to repay and have deferred every year since I graduated).

However My mum paid this for me, and after 6 further applications to Student Finance for the adult learner loan, each time being denied - it wasn't till March this year I was told by Student Finance that it was the Erudio arrears - (not the Honours Student Loan), that I owed over 3.5K in total as my account was terminated and all money was now owed in full.

I would have to pay back this 3.5K before I could reapply for a loan for my tuition fees. Both Student Finance and Erudio confirmed this

I'm certainly in no place to afford to pay this sum of money. As such, my second year now hangs in the balance, as well as not actually getting my certificate for completing my first year if I still owe the College my  fees.

I have read a lot of threads on here specifically about this issue with Erudio simply terminating student loans for silly reasons and also there may have been success in getting a retrospective deferment in order to access further student funding... Otherwise I've wasted a year at College with no qualification at the end of it! 

Does that make sense?

Yes thank you for the advice about contacting Student Finance for backdating deferment. Although I hold no hope considering the mess they have left me in informing me near towards the end of my first year I was ineligible due to this loan

Thank you.

then i totally agree with your current method to resolve this issue.

esp as you indicate the original issue for not being able to defer was not yours but an online technical issue by erudio.

although as you conclude i believe there is not direct answer to if this works with wanting further funding, sending backdated deferment forms has worked with regard to balances that were/refused to write off @25yrs from date or 50yrs old scenario. 

have you actually informed the fleecers you did not send forms in? as it could be to your advantage if you've said nowt but now 'produce them' geddit? well i did send them heres proof, . i know one user that claimed these were sent at the correct times by a partner whilst they were not able too themselves and it worked...:pound:

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you dx100uk.

Yes unfortunately at the time in 2019, I emailed Erudio with my payslips stating I'm unable to complete the deferment form as I cannot access this on their online portal. 

Well as I'm only a few years away from the loans being written off, even if I get the deferment reinstated then hopefully that is some good news and these fleecers can sing for the  money!

Thank you all for your help.