friend a victim of Cavity wall insulation cowboys. - remedial work -Getting a quote for major building works

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 745 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi 

My friend who is 62, unemployed due to health problems and has worked hard all his life to own his own home, received a visit from a builder offering free cavity wall insulation as part of a government scheme some 8 years ago.  Since then, he has had significant problems with damp. 

A legal firm contacted him (no win no fee) and took up the case saying there was a possibility the cavity wall insulation was not fitted correctly. 

The case collapsed recently and the company who fitted the cavity wall insulation has now gone into liquidation.  To make matters worse the law firm carried out multiple surveys (6) on the property and has also gone into liquidation leaving my friend with the possibility of being liable for a loan of up to £10,000 for the surveys carried out. 

CIGA the organisation responsible for guaranteeing the work has used multiple excuses stating the lack of central heating etc as the cause and not the cavity wall insulation which has never been a problem before,

meanwhile the black mould issue is getting worse and it is becoming more clear that the cavity wall insulation is the problem.  He has had a quote for the work and has been quoted £20,000 to carry out the work to repair the cavity wall insulation.  

In addition following the collapse of the law firm the administrators supplied my friend with a new solicitor who has apparently applied to the court for a discontinuation of proceedings due to the low probability of a good outcome,

what options does he have, his house is now worthless and he has not got £20,000 to repair the house.

Edited by dx100uk
added A few blank lines only..dx

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

To cut a long story short my friend has been a victim of Cavity wall  insulation cowboys.  They fitted foam insulation in the front and side elevations of his property when it was not suitable and this is now causing severe damp making his property worthless.

After being ripped off by both his solicitor and the company who fitted the insulation both of whom are now in liquidation he is faced with a £32,000 bill to have the walls removed and the foam insulation removed from his property.

As you can imagine he is very untrusting of any builder and is finding it hard to get a quote and trust what is being said.

He went onto the citizens advice website and was advised to create a JCT contract  for the building works, the builder has stated to him that he will need to pay him £1,200 for his solicitor to look at the contract and has also said that because he has accepted the quote he is legally obligated and would have to pay a cancellation fee to cancel the work.  The builder has stated he is happy to allow a cooling off period despite a quote not being a legally binding contract.  How nice of him!

He has not signed any contract but I know he was happy with the quote.  I believe the builder is milking him for every penny he can because he knows they are few builders who are willing to do these sorts of work.

Any help and advice here would be great.

• dx100uk changed the title to friend a victim of Cavity wall insulation cowboys. - remedial work -Getting a quote for major building works