Pet died 10 days after purchase

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 729 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi. So I purchased an animal on Saturday 23 April 2022 and it has died this morning 02 May 2022 or overnight. I have co tacted the shop and they are saying as it's over 48 hrs there's nothing they can do. Is this correct? X 

We really need more details but the answer is that it is not correct . 

Even though it's an animal, it still comes under the definition of goods and is affected by the consumer rights act .

It has to remain in satisfactory condition for a reasonable length of time.

That is something a lot more than 48 hours .

What is the name of the dealer?

What kind of pet is it? More details please

Firstly, I've had to look up what a tegu is and beyond now knowing it's a lizard I'm not really much wiser as there seem to be a number of different types.

As I see it so far, this will come down to an argument over whether the lizard was in good health when purchased or they can try to blame the death on your care.

Are you experienced with such animals?  Would you have noticed the signs that indicated the lizard was not in good health.  Did it show any such signs and did you seek veterinary care or was the death so sudden that you didn't have chance?

On the face of it an animal should not just die ten days after purchase but I don't have the knowledge to say this can't have happened entirely under your ownership.  On the other hand I'm incredibly unimpressed with any retailer claiming 48 hours as a cut off for responsibility. 

I'm assuming this lizard was expensive enough that you would  be prepared to take it further.  If so we really do need more detailed information to offer sensible advice.