Can animal rescue centre force me to have my dog neutered

Bunty Rothsay
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 770 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I adopted a beagle cross a few months ago

one of the conditions stipulated by the rescue centre was that the dog had to be neutered before I took the dog home. However, they didn't have time to do it due to the influx over Christmas.

When they last rang me the dog was unwell but I have now looked into the benefits for and against neutering and the impact it had on my last dog and I have decided I would not like to have the operation performed on my dog.

I have no intention of breeding the dog, I am a staunch believer that rescue is best (adopt dont shop!) - and I am prepared to sign a legal letter to say I won't breed the dog.

do I have any rights to say no

- given they gave me the dog before they had neutered it.

Surely the dog is now legally mine?

not unless you signed some agreement that stipulated they can do XYZ if you don't...

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Are you sure it's your dog?  Some rescues have an arrangement where you don't become the owner, just the keeper.  A bit like fostering I guess.  I'm not sure exactly how it works but I think you need to check your paperwork carefully.

54 minutes ago, Bunty Rothsay said:

I signed the papers - but it said before you take the dog. So, have they not breached their own agreement?

Are they offering to pay for the procedure?

• Like 1

ah 

so you don't want it done and want the money back you already paid in relation to that operation?

is there any clause in the agreement that says that until the dog is operated upon, it's not legally yours?

we need to understand where you actually legally stand here, if you even have a chance of getting your moneyback toward the operation and/or ownership of the dog itself. 

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

aw you're a darling.

same as me.. had 15 dogs via rescue over the last 30ys+ but that all went south 3yrs ago when they said no as i had chickens, ducks, guineafowl, 3 cats..etc  said it was now against their rules....:crazy:

and they

10 hours ago, Bunty Rothsay said:

But yes i will check re ownership.

When I took a cat from the RSPCA some years ago I just signed the paperwork after a quick scan.  When I looked in more detail later I discovered I had not paid them for the animal.  I had made a donation and agreed to keep/care for it.  In most cases this would never be an issue and it wasn't for me. 

As it happens, I agree with your stance on the automatic neutering of male dogs.  I'm not against it but I wouldn't do it without need and if you are going to do it then timing is all important.  How old is the dog?  Too young - very bad (age is breed dependent), quite old and I think the moment has passed.  There's a risk/reward issue whenever a general anaesthetic is involved.

I do understand a rescue's stance  to an extent as it's easier to have a blanket rule.  To what extent do you think they'll continue to follow up?

Many years ago I had rescue cats from RSPCA and as I recall it the paperwork said RSPCA retained ownership and had right to take them back and right to check on their health. They never contacted us again and both cats lived for another 17 years but i imagine it's their fall back position if it turns out someone takes a rescue animal and then ill treats it.

No idea what their current paperwork says.

• Like 1