Halfords Price Match Promise

dark.knight.10
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 870 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I have recently 27/11/21 changed my tyres at Halfords. it cost me 394.38 pounds. I was given the option to fit in store or Mobile fitting... so I chose mobile fitting because I thought id get cashback that way (spoiler it didn’t work)

The next day, I realised that Costco offered the same exact set of tyres fitted for 318.32 pounds. BIG DIFFERECE! (you might ask why didn’t i check before buying, I did but Costco’s website didn’t give me the tyre as an option when i put my reg... I found it manually)

"Tyres will be included as long as it includes the cost of fitting (valve, balance & environmental disposal)"

Anyways, I send them an email with all the details ... no reply for a week. I call them ... they put me on hold for hours, yesterday, I got hold of them and they rejected my price match claim!

They said its because the service wasn’t exactly the same (i.e because I used a mobile service)

Halfords Agent email "Unfortunately we will not be able to price match the tyres to the basket showing tyres through Costco. The tyres must include the same items and service for them to be eligible “if you get a quote from us, but find a cheaper one elsewhere, we’ll beat it*. If you’re given a more competitive quote for a like-for-like product and service” as a price match. As Costco is not a mobile service, we therefore will be unable to match their price."

I'm fuming because mobile service doesn't carry an extra cost and is the same as garage fitting for Halfords ... surely the services must equate!

Here is a link to their price match promise

WWW.HALFORDS.COM

Our price guarantee ensures you always get the best deal.

Do I have a leg here or shall I just move on?

Thanks!

F

I'm afraid that I'm struggling to find a cause of action here.

If you had found the cheaper price in advance and then deliberately gone to Halford's relying on their promise then I would have thought that you would have an action in contract.

However, you went to them on the basis of their advertised price and you contracted on that basis.

The best I can suggest is that it is an unfair commercial practice but frankly it will become complicated and you will get bogged down for a relatively small amount of money – even though 70 quid is quite interesting cash.

Have a look at CPUT to get an idea what unfair commercial practices are about.