Excel Contractual Interest Spreadsheet

Mindzai
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5570 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we please keep this thread on topic, it is intended to provide a place for questions and support for the spreadsheet, not for another contractual interest debate.

Mindzai & Lucid vs Lloyds TSB

Mindzai's Account - Partial settlement offer rejected

Joint Account - Partial settlement offer rejected

Spreadsheet for compound contractual interest and statutory (s69) interest:

Download v1.9 [Tested with Excel 97-2007 and OpenOffice 2]

PLEASE NOTE: You should fully research contractual interest before you use that functionality of this spreadsheet. If in any doubt please use it to calculate 8% interest under s69 County Courts Act 1984.

Mindzai hi :)

I have downloaded your spreadsheet for my O/H's Nat West future claim:D

I have entered all relevant charges in the left column (date applied to account etc), interest in the right column (however have entered these dates as the date the interest was applied and not the day it ACTUALLY came out the account) I can change the dates if that was wrong!!

The bit I am confused about is Interest free overdraft column. He had a £250 OD however it was not free. So it says in your notes to leave the cell blank. Now when I do that, quarter the way down the page he gets the FULL interest back on the INTEREST PAID ON PENALTIES column. Then it starts to decrease again and he gets back much less.:confused:

Now this account was an account that for 85% of charges and interest applied was over the £250 OD and the balance grew higher in debit each month.

My question is am I doing anything wrong??? I thought as the charges were over the OD that he would get the whole lot back..( hope I do not confuse you )...not a portion of it:confused:

One other question when I put the OD amount in as -250 in that column it gave exactly the full amount back of 90% of the charges.

My head aches cos I have confused myself a bit and the interest is important as it is large amounts becuase of the snowballing cahrges and previous months interests.

MILLY

X:)

CAPITAL ONE (O/H!): Won £1864.63 including contractual :D

GE MONEY: WON £266.00

Mindzai hi :)

I have downloaded your spreadsheet for my O/H's Nat West future claim:D

I have entered all relevant charges in the left column (date applied to account etc), interest in the right column (however have entered these dates as the date the interest was applied and not the day it ACTUALLY came out the account) I can change the dates if that was wrong!!

The bit I am confused about is Interest free overdraft column. He had a £250 OD however it was not free. So it says in your notes to leave the cell blank. Now when I do that, quarter the way down the page he gets the FULL interest back on the INTEREST PAID ON PENALTIES column. Then it starts to decrease again and he gets back much less.:confused:

Now this account was an account that for 85% of charges and interest applied was over the £250 OD and the balance grew higher in debit each month.

My question is am I doing anything wrong??? I thought as the charges were over the OD that he would get the whole lot back..( hope I do not confuse you )...not a portion of it:confused:

One other question when I put the OD amount in as -250 in that column it gave exactly the full amount back of 90% of the charges.

My head aches cos I have confused myself a bit and the interest is important as it is large amounts becuase of the snowballing cahrges and previous months interests.

MILLY

X:)

Hi Milly - yes leave the interest free OD column blank. If I remember correctly, if you did need to put in a figure thee you would need to put it in as an absolute number, ie without a minus sign which is why entering -250 tips the balance in your favour.

I am not too sure about the reason for the interest situation you describe, unless he went further over the OD without it being due to charges. For example, if the OD is £250 and the charges were £300, any interest incurred would be due to charges as without them he would be £50 in credit. However if he then went £200 further OD because of something unrelated to charges, this would mean that not all of the OD is down to charges and you would start to see only a proportion of the interest being reclaimable again.

If the charges outweight the OD amount entirely then something must be wrong as in that situation the interest should be 100% reclaimable. If that's the case let me know and I will have a look over your spreadsheet if you like.

PLEASE NOTE: You should fully research contractual interest before you use that functionality of this spreadsheet. If in any doubt please use it to calculate 8% interest under s69 County Courts Act 1984.

Hi Mindzai:)

If the charges outweight the OD amount entirely then something must be wrong as in that situation the interest should be 100% reclaimable. If that's the case let me know and I will have a look over your spreadsheet if you like.

The overdraft is 250 and yes the charges and interest outweigh this amount 8 times approx!!!!!:eek: Mind boggles at the amount!!!

You can PM me and I will send it as Nat West may be poking theeir nose in looking!!!!

Thanks for your help with this:)

Milly X:)

Hi Milly -you're in good hands. This guy does one mean sheet !! ;)

Hello Bill:)

I know I am very greatful too. Heres to Mindzai and you Bill :) :) and all the others , tamadus too. You are all a fantastic bunch of people happy to help others.

Big kisses to you all XXXX:D

Milly X:)

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update.

I've uploaded version v1.9 of the spreadsheet.

Changes include:

• Removed the monthly interest tab as it is redundant
  • Fixed a bug where certain sort codes could be interpreted as dates
  • Re-wrote certain formulas in order to provide compatibility with OpenOffice Calc

Ive tested this with Excel 97, 2000, 2003 and 2007 and OpenOffice Calc 2.1.

For anyone who is unsure, OpenOffice is an office suite that is essentially a set of clones of the MS Office applications such as Word, Escel, Access etc. The best part about it is, it is 100% free. Just download and install. This means you no longer need Excel to use this spreadsheet.

• Haha 2

Hi Minzai,

Thanks for the great spreadsheet for working out contractual interest :). I'm just using it to enter my charges in, but I've reached a problem. I've entered 193 charges (and there's another two pages to go!) and the spreadsheet won't let me enter any more. It just keeps returning to the "estimate of previous charges box".

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Thanks,

John

Hi John - yes this would be because I'm extremely forgetful and forgot to unlock those extra cells. Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I will fix and update.

To save you redownloading etc, you can fix this by going to Tools > Protection > Unprotect Sheet while you are on the offending tab. This will unlock every cell on that tab so be careful not to delete any formulas ;)

Thanks for the excellent spreadsheet Mindzai.

Have you, or anyone, modified this to work for Credit Cards? I prefer the ease of use to the online google ones.

Mike

HSBC A/C - WON! - £1,575 Charges, Stat Interest and default removed before court!

HSBC CC - WON! - £1,025 Charges, and Stat Interest refunded

ARGOS - WON! - £250 Charges & Contractual Interest

CREATION WON! - £180 Charges & Contractual Interest

BARCLAYCARD- Court Date Set - 09/10/2007

EGG - SAR Sent 22/12/06, ID Sent 05/01/07. No progress yet.

I'm currently half way through making a credit card one.

hi all

can someone confirm for me that

the left hand side of the spready is only for charges, referal fees, excess borrowing etc,

and the right hand columns are only for interest

and these arent to be mixed together

just want to confirm b4 i start

many thanks

Bob:oops:

ps one other thing

what would constitute 'estimate of previous charges' for the first box?

surely if its a penalty, then you would put it in the penalties column

Hi Bob,

You're absolutely right.

Lucid :)

*Won unconditionally with contractual interest (29.85% compounded)

Lucid's Account - £749.62 * Joint Account - £2019.64 * Mindzai's Account - £595.65

*All settled in full - 6/2/07

*Hearings - 7/2/07

*Prelims sent - 9/8/06

_______

GOT A COURT DATE? A guide to the later stages

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

hi all

can someone confirm for me that

the left hand side of the spready is only for charges, referal fees, excess borrowing etc,

and the right hand columns are only for interest

and these arent to be mixed together

just want to confirm b4 i start

many thanks

Bob:oops:

ps one other thing

what would constitute 'estimate of previous charges' for the first box?

surely if its a penalty, then you would put it in the penalties column

Estimate of previous charges would be any charges that you dont have records for that have occured before the first known charge. Most people would leave this blank as they would be aware of all their charges.