Problems with newly installed drive.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 831 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, newbie here. I have searched the builders section but can't really find any relevant problems to mine?

I had a new concrete drive installed at my bungalow on May 24, 2021 by a local builder (T M Cronin) but now have a few issues regarding the top surface? 

I've contacted said builder, telling him if it was possible to smooth down the surface as it was quite lumpy and rippled, told me he would let me know but never heard back from him?

I'm thinking, builders are always busy so I'll just wait? On July 29, 2021, I noticed a few dark round patches which I thought was dirt but on having a closer look, it was soil, imbedded in the surface which when attempting to clean has now resulted in a few holes in the surface? Contacted the builder again, he came out and confirmed this problem happened when the surface was being levelled and that the board had picked up some debris? Once again, he told me he will come back and take care of things but not heard from him since?

The builder is quite a pleasant chap, recommended by various neighbours? Should I just keep on contacting him, hoping that one day he will return to sort out my drive, I don't really want things to get nasty?

Thanks, Albert. 

What did the driver originally cost you?

I suggest that you get an independent inspection of the drive to assess the quality of the work and the seriousness of the problem and the measures which would be needed to put things right and the likely cost of those measures.

Then you can understand the seriousness or otherwise of what is happening and we can then advise you as to the best course of action.

If the builder hasn't responded to you so far then frankly he clearly doesn't really want to get involved. I don't see any point in continuing to contact him until you understand exactly what the problem is all about.

Quote For Parking Area (as per builder)

Excavate the area to be concreted and dig hole to allow a to allow a preformed soak-away to be fitted.

Cover excavated area with 50mm of mot.

Concrete parking area with 100mm concrete slap with drainage into soak-away.

Total cost £1,140.

We paid him £1,200 due to doing another small strip of concrete.

Indeed, he would have been out by now if he was all that concerned?

Thanks. In that case I think that you have to to get the independent inspection" carried out.

This is always the starting point with these kinds of disputes.

There may be a fee – but you can protect yourself by writing to him and telling him that as he has not responded you are now proposing to get an independent inspection of the quality of the work and if it is considered that the work needs remedial treatment then you will get a quotation for that work.

Tell him that the independent inspection may incur a fee and if it shows that the work is not of a good standard then you will be looking to him to reimburse you the fee as well as the cost of any remedial work.

Tell him that you are putting him on notice in advance so that he has an opportunity to comment.

I would suggest that you get hold of somebody who is prepared to do the independent inspection and once you have found someone then before you book it in, write him that letter and tell him the date upon which the inspection is going to take place. Give him seven days before the inspection actually takes place.

This means that later on he will not be able to object to your additional claim for the fees of the inspection because he would have been fully warned and given an opportunity to comment.

It is extremely important in all of these things to keep a very tight paper trail. That the builder know at every step of the way what further action you are proposing and give the builder opportunity to comment.

Just to clarify the situation.

Find someone who's prepared to carry out a independent inspection of my concrete drive and a time frame (proving difficult at this point in time)

Contact said builder via letter of my intentions.

I'm guessing that on contacting said builder (who only lives around the corner from me) he may pay me a visit and ask me why I'm taking this action, he could give me various reasons why he has not attempted to rectify the problems with my drive i.e. work load, etc.

Said builder may even offer (yet again) to rectify the drive, but when and to what standard, I do not know?

To be honest, I would not be happy for him to just come out and throw a few drops of cement in to all the holes, as I mentioned before, there are numerous other problems with the drive?

Thanks.

You have it broadly right but if he comes round to visit you then try to record the conversation. You can do this quite discreetly by having a telephone in your pocket with the voice recorder on.

I agree that it would not be particular satisfactory for him to come out and carry out the work.

However if he does visit you then you should tell him that if he agrees that there are problems with the work then he should list out in writing what he considers the problem and what remedial work needs to be undertaken.

at the same time carry out your own independent inspection and then compare his list against your own. However it is unlikely that he is going to visit you and it is certainly unlikely that he is going to be prepared to provide you with a list of defects and remedial work.

• 5 months later...

open