Very old case of excessive bank charges.

johnjordan
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 982 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Many years ago, over 20 years, I had an account with Natwest who ended up charging me more in charges and fees for letters than I had coming into the account.

Is there a time limit on these sort of things as I'm guessing it's far too late to make any sort of claim. The amount that I eventually ended up owing was in excess of £7k, but tellingly, they have never claimed it since I closed the account.

Thank you.

If they are not chasing the debt (which from what you say they created with unfair charges etc) and you have closed the account then how could you possibly consider making a claim ?

If there has been no activity on the account in the last 6 years its statute barred anyway......gone.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

I don't know, that's why I was asking.

I see people on here being advised to make claims against various banks for other things and just wondered if I was too late to make a claim against my old bank for excessive charges/fees.

but you wouldnt see them anyway to your pocket if there is an outstanding debt thats is of the notional charges anyway..

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

But the debt was made up of their charges. One DD was refused because of insufficient funds, my fault, but from then on they kept sending me letters at £25 a time, sometimes there were 2 letters in one envelope but I was still charged £25 each.

After the first refused DD I managed to keep my expenditure just inside my income but the letters were pushing me further and further into debt. The £7k was made up of these charges, not my overspending, that's what hurt.

But anyway, I really just wanted to know if it's too late to claim anything, I suspect it is.

thats how they all work

but even if they refund their unlawful notional charges, they wont goto you as the debt as you say is made of their charges. you didn't physically repay them, they remain as the existing debt so would come off the balance, you can't get something to your pocket you didn't actually pay.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Unless your being chased for the debt or ever receive a court claim for the outstanding debt then debt which is created by the the creditor themselves in unfair charges etc is irrelevant...its their created debt not yours ....hence you have no right to try and reclaim it...if that makes sence....and given that this is over 20 years ago its even more so irrelevant.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread