Conservatory problems baring in mind

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1022 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just need some advice on this one.

Had a conservatory built by a local company and am fairly happy with the general build.

Not sure if the conservatory was built in the right order however as framework/glass was installed before building works were finished and are still waiting for a drain hopper (cover) to be installed. 

Most of the contracted trades involved have generally done a good job to a decent finish.

However the frame installation team employed by the company themselves have not finished some of the sealant to a good standard and some of the sealant has split allowing moisture to seep inside onto newly plastered walls.

We also have a full skip and plastic waste from our old conservatory placed on council land waiting for collection and just causing an inconvenience in general.

We split the payment for the build in half with 2 cash payments to be paid at certain stages of the build and the other half to be paid via finance. 

With 1 cash payment made we are now holding back the 2nd payment and sign off of build as we are unhappy with sealant splitting and now the company involved seem to have put us to the bottom of their priority list and are just refusing to call back with any time line as to when this issue will be rectified.

Because of their failure to contact us we have no idea as to when the build will be finished which to be honest is ridiculous baring in mind its only minor finishing bits and pieces which need rectifying so just need some advice as where we stand legally with holding back 2nd cash payment. 

One of the reasons we chose this company was the fact that they give a 20 year warranty on the whole build but i now have serious doubts  as to whether they will bother to rectify any future problems which is a big worry.

Any advice would be gratefully received. 

The best thing to do is to get an independent assessment of the quality of the work and to get it put into a written report. If you can get a written report which confirms your position then we can help you and it will be fairly straightforward.

Are they actually disputing the quality of the work?

How much have you paid? What is the name of the firm that you are dealing with?

Also, warranties can be useful – but by and large they don't mean very much and also don't forget that they only last for as long as the company. If the company goes out of business tomorrow, you won't have any redress on your warranty. What is really needed is that the work is insured under their own insurance policy and that they provide you with evidence of the insurance and a policy number and you double check with the insurance company that even if the company goes bust that the work will be covered.

You will scarcely ever find any company that is prepared to do that

Also, warranties can be useful – but by and large they don't mean very much and also don't forget that they only last for as long as the company. If the company goes out of business tomorrow, you won't have any redress on your warranty.

Yes, beware of "warranties" issued by conservatory companies. I had a fifteen year warranty with mine. Twelve months after the installation some of the DG units failed and began to mist. I contacted the installers only to be told that the company that installed mine had gone into liquidation. Meanwhile a "new" company had taken over the business. Same "T/A" name, same premises, same staff, same phone number. They could fix my problem, but unfortunately there would be a charge. Enquiries led me to discover that this company, which had been operating under the same name for forty years, performed this trick about every two years or so. You live and learn   😏

Edited by Man in the middle
  • I agree 1