Cannot renew tax, DVLA not answering phone

aj84
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1078 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

The short version:

1. Website won't accept V11 number to tax
2. Can't get through to DVLA
3. Live chat says ring DVLA
4. Can't go to PO as new V5 has not arrived post number plate change
5. Can't drive car due to no tax which is severely impacting nursery runs, day2day shops, work etc.
6. Can't complete the sale to then pickup new car as the car is effectively prisoned by lack of tax to get to the dealer but also lack of V5.

Slight detail behind why it cannot be taxed:
The car was supposed to go to a dealership to be traded in over the weekend a few days prior to tax renewal date.  During this window, the numberplate on the car had been put onto retention and reverted back to its original.
Unfortunately due to a delay, the selling of the vehicle has now been moved to this weekend and so on Sunday 30th May, I proceeded into renewing the tax via the online linke and V11.  
But... the issue is, the ref number on the V11 is not being accepted on the DVLA site stating the below message which I can only think is due to the numberplate change where the reference number is associated to the plate now on retention.

On the assumption bank holiday they were shut, I tried ringing the DVLA pretty much all day Tuesday from morning to evening to be told they are too busy and to ring back later at every attempt.  I also had a live chat explaining the situation + the fact no one is answering to which she responded...you guessed it... you need to ring the DVLA.
I am now seeing on their twitter account they are now in the middle of industrial action and to avoid calling the call centres.

Completely stuck as to what to do.  

Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance

Error is:

Vehicle details could not be found

Sorry, your vehicle registration mark or reference number has not been recognised. This means you cannot proceed with your Tax application.

Yes the V5 reference number changes when you change the plates, so the one you have is obsolete. 
it’s difficult enough normally to get through to the DVLA, so I don’t hold too much hope. 
My son bought a new car a couple of weeks ago. He got his V5 in the same week. 

If the car is being sold fairly soon, while it may be inconvenient, I would be tempted to leave it and ask the garage to collect it using their dealer plates. If it was their fault the sales was delayed I’m sure they would support this. 

other than that you should get the document in the next couple of days. 
Just one question, did you update the insurance details with the new number?

On any normal day I would say the V5 would get here in the same week but I'm thinking with bank holiday and now this industrial strike...

The fault was more on my side but will speak to them

Insurance - good point!  Not as of yet as I thought given no tax, I can't drive it anyway and on top of this, I was waiting for the plates 

ask the garage to collect on trade plates.?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I think it now has gone to the point where I need the car is no longer the issue as we've had to hire out where we need to and depend on friends for nursery pickups.

The main issue is can they issue an automatic fine ?

Surely there is a way to make them accountable for the mess they are causing?  Strike is one thing but looking at social media, not being able to get through to them has been going on for months/possibly even a year+

Thanks all - this topic is now resolved.

I tried for Friday before a DVLA rep on twitter replied back finally to take details.

They apparently tried on Monday a couple of times but with a private number + no voicemail left, I did not answer on the basis I was in the office (first day back in 1.5 years)

Fast forward Tuesday (today), the car has been picked up by the dealer and a few minutes ago, I got the DVLA transfer to trade email.

I suppose it can only go 2 ways - No come back in which case I save myself the 1 month renewal of around £50 something or they start playing up and try to fine me in which case I am more than happy to take it further.

It is a shame I could not drive it 1 last time but hey ho.