Universal Credit , Single occupancy and Council tax

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1157 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been on Universal Credit and Council Tax support since  April 2020. 

I was told, despite being on Universal Credit and a single occupant in my home, I still had to pay a proportion of the Council Tax, which I did ...

Then a month or two later I received a cheque for the amount I had paid from the Council Tax.

I have just received a council tax bill for this year stating an amount I have to pay ...

My question is Do I, on Universal Credit and being a solo occupant still have to pay a proportion of the yearly rate or not. ??/

Thank you

xxx

why not phone the CTAX dept of your council and ask?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

You just complete a Council Tax reduction form the council will provide to you and after you send it back completed they will calculate what you have to pay. 

Most councils now charge unemployed at least 20% of the total amount due after any single occupancy discount has been applied.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

What it looks like you have not been told is that last year as part of the Covid measures the government gave all councils a extra amount of money to cover the council tax bills of people on benefits. It was called the Council tax hardship fund you was paid a extra amount up to £150. Anything above the £150 you were still liable for. 

Most councils wrote to the people who were eligible for the fund, I know l received a letter l have it beside me which says if my council tax bill is in credit now l can apply for a refund. I left mine to tick over and carry over to this years bill which meant l did not have to pay this year either, bonus but they have still asked me to make a minimum payment of £1 a month to stop problems.

I think this might be why you received a cheque payment for what you had paid tho l am sure you should have been told. The government did announce the fund and they paid the money to councils between April and June. 

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.