It turns out that have been overpaying my rent for at least 5 years,

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1184 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,  Recently I did a financial statement for the CAB and it turns out that I have been overpaying my rent by £48 per month for at least 5 years.  I am on Housing benefit and have been paying £100 per month to cover the short fall in the benefit payment. I contacted my letting agent querying this and was told that my account is showing that I am just current in the amount I owe, not showing a credit balance as my calculations seem to show.

My rent is                £700 per calendar month  or          £8400 per year

Housing benefit     £594.08 x13 - 4 weekly payment   £7723.04 per year

My top up                £100 x12 calendar month              £1200 per year

£523.04 over payment per year

I think the maths is correct and I think this situation arose because a one point we were in rent arrears of about £1000 and agreed to clear the arrears by paying £100 a month rather than the £52 needed to cover the HB shortfall. We have continued to pay the £100 per month since that date. 

My question is how do I go about getting a break down of all payments to my agent and what to do if they refuse to cooperate.

Thanks in advance 

Gary44

How do I transfer my post to the correct topic I think I posted this wrongly and am not in the right section  Sorry about this

Edited by Gary44
poor grammar

Start off by sending the letting agent and SAR and also one to the landlord. You can do that today