£2 item theft, paid for it but Sainsbury banned me - can i go in other local ones?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1325 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, 

I was caught shoplifting in Sainsbury's. (I already know what I did was bad an a stupid decision, and all of you can be sure it won't happen again as I fell very shameful about it) 

I already read many forums here in reference to this topic, so I feel relieved as they didn't called the police,

the item I took was worth 2£ and I paid for it after I left.

They just gave me a written letter saying that I'm banned for all Sainsbury. 

And that's where my main question goes, can I be recognised in a different Saintsbury.

I mean the Sainsbury where I was banned was one where I never went before.

But there is another one that is very close to my home

I want to know If they can recognise me somehow (face recognition or something like that) 

I'm probably just being paranoid about this, but I was quite a shocked when this happened. 

Also I know it is probably stupid to comeback to a store where you were banned but I will like to know what can happen if they recognise me some how?. 

I'm sorry if I'm just being paranoid over this, but something like this never happened to me before.

And if English is hard to get, I'm sorry I'm not native and is not easy write about this. 

Thanks for any advice in advance. 

Hi Hi Foxxi and welcome to CAG

Your English is absolutely fine !!

Your post is now in the appropriate forum for advice.

You may be contacted by RLP (Retail Loss Prevention) or a similar company demanding lots of money but follow the advice from others here first before responding to any demands.

Try using the Sainsburys local to you if you want  - all that can happen is they recognise you and ask you to leave - nothing worse.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• dx100uk changed the title to £2 item theft, paid for it but Sainsbury banned me - can i go in other local ones?

you will probably be quite safe to even go into that same store

they don't use face regoc..too expensive and somewhat against human rights under retail laws.

and no they wont circulate photos either.

you'll get alot of scary stuff from DWF.

you are safe to TOTALLY ignore them...:pound:

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hey dx100uk, 

Thanks a lot for the advice, you calmed down. 

Just one more thing, they didn't asked for my address but they ask for my ID, and I only had my university ID. 

Is there any chance for them to contact my uni? 

and has that your address on it?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

It is very unlikely they will contact your university.
On the other hand, British universities have excellent welfare departments which are very experienced and you can be absolutely certain that every year they deal with quite a number of students who have been involved in shoplifting and they provide an excellent support role.

I would suggest that you make an appointment with your will for department and go along and have a chat and tell them what happened also trying to explain why you think you did this. The chat that you have with your welfare department will be completely confidential, but they will be supportive and understanding and you will feel better about it.
It will really help if you involve someone else.

7 hours ago, fkofilee said:

Yes you can go to another one. :)

Correct (from a practical viewpoint, with one caveat).

Incorrect from a purely legal viewpoint.

From a purely legal viewpoint, if the OP has been told he is banned from ALL Sainsbury's stores, then they no longer have any implied invitation to enter, and by doing so, are entering as a trespasser.

In practice, the OP is likely to get away with it if they go into another branch and behave themselves.

The caveat is that if they then AGAIN committed a theft from a Sainsbury's, and it was then noted that they had entered as a trespasser, it could be prosecuted as burglary (rather than the less significant offence of theft).