Bookworm and Sky, a hate-hate story... (and assorted DCAs)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5888 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Pasted from my reply to another unlucky subscriber:

Many many moons ago, I gave Sky 1 month's notice to cancel my subscription by e-mail, via their own website. Then I cancelled the d/d (cos me not stoopid).

1 month went past... and they didn't switch off. Like the good little Bookworm that I am, I phoned to query this. The chap I spoke to said to me: "Oh yes, I can see your e-mail, but it hasn't been activated, I'll do it now." A few days later, Sky and my TV parted ways and that was the end of it...

Or so I thought...

A bill arrived. Not only they were asking me for the month's rental, there were also 3 pay per view items on the bill. The total was for £45.06.

Now, many of you may well enjoy ppv, but the fact is in all the years we were with Sky, we never once used it. Furthermore, on checking, it turned out that 1 item was a film I had seen on video 2 weeks previous, 1 item was a film I wouldn't want to be found dead and viewing, and the 3rd was, wait for it, F1 racing at 3 or 4 am!!!! Let me add now that no-one in this family unit would EVER watch F1 racing.

From then on, followed years of harassment from Sky. Sky, solicitors, debt collectors, you name it. Then they would go away for a few months, we'd think they'd given up, and another lot of debt collectors would appear and start again.

I think that I've got rid of them at last, they haven't bothered me since I've told them I wouldn't enter into any more correspondence unless it was a Court summons.

But who knows? They could change debt collectors again, and it will start again... Mind you, since I have been on this forum, I have found out so many things, I wouldn't let them lead me such a merry dance this time...

I got a letter a couple of days ago, forgot all about it with all the excitement going on with Natwest, Ikea, straighteners...

This time, it's from a company called "Scotcall Debt Collecting Services", based in Glasgow, complete with swooping falcon crest in the corner. Oooh, I'm scared.

DOORSTEP COLLECTION NOTICE-PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

Dear Sir/Madam,

We confirm that your outstanding debt due to the above-mentioned company has now been placed with "SCOTCALL" for immediate collection and settlement.

We intend to arrange a doorstep call by one of our representatives unless within 7 days you respond to this letter and make specific repayment proposals which are acceptable to "SCOTCALL" thereby avoiding further inconvenience or legal and collection expenses.

Should your financial cirumstances prevent total settlemtn of the account your offer of realistic monthly or weekly repayments will receive our careful consideration.

Please complete the attached payment slip, etc...

I'm thinking, if they're going to come from Glasgow to try and get £45.06 from me, they must be desperate!!!

Let 'em come... They'll get a warmer reception than they expect, I can tell you now!!!

I shall keep you all updated. Meanwhile, if anyone knows the company, pls let me know. Thank you.

Scotcall operate at the fag end of the debt collection market. A debt only ends up with them if all other attempts to collect have failed and it's not worth going to court. They do actually have collectors and they do call but whether they have one in your area is anyone's guess.

I had enormous problems over a mobile phone a few years ago. A debt collector tried their level best to get me to pay something I didn't owe. They ignore everything I wrote to them and just kept on hassling. In the end, I sent them a bill for my time and a promise of a county court claim for payment unless they went away. I would have followed through if they hadn't given up because I could prove that they had caused me a great deal of time and hassle and they couldn't prove any debt because there wasn't one.

I've no idea if I would have won but it certainly got their attention not lease because the people dealing with payments were different from the debt collectors.

Scotcall operate at the fag end of the debt collection market

The fag end? The FAG end? How deliciously vulgar! :D

But anyway, THANKS for that!!!! Know thy enemy, and all that... :D

I shall fight them in my garden, I shall fight them on my doorstep...

The fag end? The FAG end? How deliciously vulgar! :D

LOL

Just the FAQ’s ma'am. Please read 'em thoroughly before jumping in. Cheers :)

Find all the letters under the rainbow here

Being a man, I am always right (however I will make no admission of liability if you have misinterpreted my instructions!! :) ) If you are in any doubt, then consult a professional. All opinions offered on this site are just that, and should not be taken as legal advice.

Halifax - £1400 reclaimed. Now on a crusade to help others!

I too have had problems with Sky/DCA's.

I have NEVER had Sky TV. My parents had it when I lived with them, and when I left to live on my own, I decided that I had quite enough adverts and rubbish on the TV with 5 channels - I didn't need another 35 channels feeding me with bad adverts from minor celebs touting bad credit deals.

I must admit, I ignored the letters coming through the door, as I (quite rightly) assumed that it was a cock up and that Sky were just as bad for cocking up as the next big company.

Eventually a DCA phoned and I told them that if they could provide me with a copy of any contract I had signed in which they perport that I had a Sky subscription I would gladly pay.

They refused.

I refused to pay for a service I have NEVER received.

Then I received a letter informing me that they would be taking me to court if I didn't pay up by such-and-such a date.

I ignored it (secretly in the hope that they DID take me to court - it would have been great fun!) - it's been about 8 months since that letter, and sadly they seem to have realised their mistake.

Oddly, I had the same thing a few years before (when I was still at my parents house) for Cable & Wireless - they didn't (and still don't) operate in that area. They did, however send me a little box to put on the wall - I hadn't ordered it, or asked for it - remember, this wasn't my house, and the bills were not in my name - so I saw no reason why I should pay for it. On that occassion I did write and tell them that they could have their box back if they wanted to pay for the postage. It was ignored of course, but the letters demanding payment still arrived.

Now the sad thing about all this is; if my Grandmother had received these bills, she would have paid them (she's just turned 92) and not given them another thought - so through their 'mistakes' they would have make quite a nice little earner from her.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

Scotcall operate at the fag end

...does that make them Butts?

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

just done a check on scotcall. They are not a limited company from what I can see so they are probably a one man band with a couple of heavies on their side for large debts. It would indicate to me that you probably won't get a visit.

Does their headed paper have a company registration number. If I had that I could probably tell you a bit more about them. They are based at Carrick House on Carrick Street in Glasgow if I am correct ?

• 1 year later...

Wow, this thread is so old, it was in General Consumer, because we didn't have a Debt forum then. :razz:

Revived here for entertainment value!!!

Having not heard for a long time (as you can see from the dates of last posts, guess who's come back?

Yep, Lowell, masquerading as Red debt Collection Services. "Trading style", my considerable backside. :rolleyes:

I've had the "this debt is not going to go away, you know" letter. Which I ignored.

I've had the "we may have to think about being serious about possibly looking into the possibility to take you to court, you know". Which I've ignored.

This morning, I got the "once in a lifetime, limited period only, do not delay!" letter, offering me to discount, yes, DISCOUNT, the outstanding balance!!!

Here comes a great mathematical calculation:

Balance o/standing: ............ £45.06

Discount Amount:................ £22.53

New Balance: .....................£22.00 :confused: :confused: :confused:

Here comes the kicker: If they don't receive communications from me within 7 days, they will recommend to their client further action to be taken against me. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, not the further action!!!

Do you know, it's quite funny, because I reckon by now, the amount they have spent in chasing this non-existent debt far exceeds the original sum.

Ah well. :rolleyes:

If they are anything like Moorcroft, further action means you'll get a letter from their pre-litigation division, then their pre-court division (what's the difference?:confused: ) and then their home collection division.

Lowell's only have a few different templates for letters, so you've probably already got the full set. Soon you'll be able to play snap with them.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

As a lawyer (not doing this type of work I might add, thats why I'm in trouble!!!), I have always wondered where you would find the pre-litigation department in a company.

Is it in the foyer of the litigation department or is it a desk in the farthest corner of a litigation department? I mean, quite seriously, what is a pre-litigation department?

Or could it be a "we are making this up so that we sound big and ever so serious and you should be scared" department?!!!

Poppycock!!

I have always wondered where you would find the pre-litigation department in a company.

Next to the Ministry of Silly Walks.

Although they now have to have shaved heads, a silly looking 'goatee' beard, be prone to eating too many cooked breakfasts, wear a black bomber jacket, black trousers and they spend hours perfecting a scowl that could eventually frighten my pet fruitbat.

Rory THERE is a big difference with Moorcroft, now are you ready for this?

If you are in their good books, you get letters with a Blue masthead, and if you are in their BAD books you get letters with a RED masthead, but at the end of the day they still print a lot Cr*p, Oh well at least they had a bit of technical experience whilst cutting and pasting by (supposingly ca), I wonder if they ever went on Blue Peter!!!!!!!!!!!

Moorcroft always give me RED UNN.

Ooh I''m scared :eek: cos in my case they actually owe me money.

I'm special, me. :razz:

Biting...lip...very...hard ;)

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

• 8 months later...

And when I thought they'd given up....

Enter BPO, from Cumbernauld, Scotland, acting on behalf of their clients Lowell, with a FORMAL NOTICE - DO NOT IGNORE.

It's gone back up to the full amount of £45.06, well, I missed my chance of a reduced payment, so only myself to blame, really. :razz:

Pay by 28th April or they will have "no alternative but to recommend that legal action may be the only option we have to recover the balance due." Ooooh, I'm scared. :rolleyes:

Morons. :mad:

Bookie have you considered suing Sky for harrasment, i mean, this has been going on for years no?

post office WON 12/11/06

abbey.LBA sent 30/10/06.MCOL claim submitted 8/11/06.allocation questionnaire sent 16/12/06.schedule of charges sent 16/12/06.WON

2nd abbey claim SAR sent 3/1/07.WON.complaint letter sent 18/1/08

alliance and Leicester.WON

But it's not Sky anymore, is it? I mean, I am assuming that one of them DCAs has purchased the debt a long time ago.

I'm just ignoring them now tbh, so makes no great difference, it just makes me chuckle that they should be that desperate. That's the power of CAG, I don't even stress about it anymore. :-D

no its no longer Sky but they remain responsible for the actions of the DCAs, after all it was Sky who introduced the DCAs into the story.

i would sue, no joke.

post office WON 12/11/06

abbey.LBA sent 30/10/06.MCOL claim submitted 8/11/06.allocation questionnaire sent 16/12/06.schedule of charges sent 16/12/06.WON

2nd abbey claim SAR sent 3/1/07.WON.complaint letter sent 18/1/08

alliance and Leicester.WON

Well, there's something new!

Phone call earlier, when I picked up, I got an automated message from Andrea something-or-another, saying that it was VERY urgent that I contact them on a VERY important matter, and that it was EXTREMELY important that I should call this number, (seriously, the emphasis was like THAT! :lol:) bla bla bla and quote this ref no...

Now, I'm ex-directory. I'm a member of the TPS. And I pay Virgin Media every month to block numbers which come from switchboards and withdrawn numbers. And I don't give out my home number to many, so this intrigued me. But for some reason, this triggered something in my brain, and I dug out the BPO letter... BINGO! The reference number is the same.

This brings the question of how on Earth they got hold of my number, but since I have no intention of phoning them....

Anyway, no advice needed, but just thought I'd post here to warn others in case they get the same, and the tel no given is: 01236 575 196, so if anyone gets the message, DON'T CALL BACK! This is just yet another bottom-feeder DCA trying to trick you into making contact. :mad:

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5888 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks