Mutating Corona Virus

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 481 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Don't think there will be any choice over vaccine, unless there are private options available to you.

For NHS, you will turn up on the day and receive the vaccine they have available.  You can ask which one and refuse it of course.  But then I would think you would waiting for a future appointment and still have no choice on which vaccine. 

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• 2 weeks later...

Face masks and some social distancing requirements likely to be a permanent requirement. Will make it very difficult for some organisations to function e.g. lower league football clubs, without the TV revenues, won't be able to exist financially if they have reduced stadium capacities. 

Also Pubs, concert venues and theatres are unlikely to return to pre-covid life this year.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

• 4 weeks later...

These vaccinations are going to be regular, I believe about every 6 months.  This is going to require local vaccination centres for years until they have a vaccine that provides longer protection.

Most GP surgeries are not going to be able to continually provide this vaccination service and provide all other services. They might help out during lockdown as a one off, but to continue having a constant flow of people for vaccination is not going to be possible.  My local GP surgeries are over subscribed, with it taking 3 weeks to get an appointment, so they are not taking part in this. Luckily we have a privately run NHS minor injuries unit with more room and they have been vaccinating patients.

• 3 weeks later...

Had my first vaccination today, which was quick and painless. No side effects so far.  Had the AZ one, which most seem to be given now.

The issue we may see is that the current vaccines may only offer a really good level of protection for about 4 months. So we will have a constant conveyorbelt system of people having booster jabs, which is going to mean production capacity has to be increased significantly and the vaccination centres will be permanent until the vaccine is improved to a once a year jab. 

• 2 weeks later...

We are navigating unchartered territory really, as the effective score of vaccines have been based on varying sample sizes and also based on samples taken in different countries with different covid-19 variants.  So it is difficult to compare vaccines.  And also we don't have much information on actual side effects caused by all of the different vaccines.  There have been deaths linked to several of the vaccines.

At one of the recent Covid-19 daily briefings,  Chis Whitty and Patrick Vallance were asked about the requirement to have regular booster jabs.  The answer given was at the moment, there is not enough data to confirm how long vaccines would provide a good level of protection for.  At the moment, NHS is planning for booster jabs to start from September 2021 for those given first vaccine in January 2021.

I had my first AZ vaccine 3 weeks ago. No issues but a slightly sore arm for 2 days, then about 10 days later, noticed I was feeling a bit sleepy with concentration/brain function slightly reduced and I am still not feeling 100%. Hopefully this will wear off.

This  meets with the reports I have heard, that many people are noticing side effects 2 to 3 weeks after vaccinations.  

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure people would except more lockdowns if other Coronavirus variants caused deaths of those already vaccinated. 

The world cannot continue to be in a permanent state of crisis with freedoms of people restricted and economies unable to produce finances to pay for public services.

During 2022 politicians around the world may just have to accept that Coronavirus will continue to mutate and that there will be a continuous requirement to provide 6 monthly or annual booster jabs. And there will be acceptance that a percentage of people will die, similar to flu.

• 3 weeks later...

Had my second AZ jab this morning. 

After the first jab, I was ok for about 10 days, then had a few days where I felt tired/drained of energy,  but whether this was related, don't know.  Hopefully the second jab won't produce any side effects.

• Like 1

I think the 21st June change will be delayed for a short period.  Suspect the new date will  be 5th July.

Allowing the extra 2 weeks will mean that most adults will have had at least one vaccination jab and  with some sensible measures remaining such as wearing face coverings as currently required, then hopefully the country will be able to live with some level of Covid-19 remaining.

it is going to be extremely difficult for Government to have any control over peoples behaviours.  As soon as they relax the rules, then you will see crowded pubs ( masks around chins, if at all) and flights to holiday destinations full.  The Covid-19 numbers will increase and by Autumn we could well be back in lockdown, if the NHS is under pressure.

The Prime Minister and the cabinet are going to be face a nightmare few months, possibly more difficult than the peak of the crisis.   People will think that the vaccines are going to help return life back to normal, with no need for masks and social distancing.  It may soon become clear that many of the Covid-19 safety measures will have to remain in place and many people are not going to like this.

100,000 positive covid tests in the week up to 29th May, compared to 60,000 the week before.

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Increasing numbers of infections are likely to be caused by the so-called Indian, or Delta, variant.

The way it is going, I cannot see the Goverment going ahead with the further changes from 21st June.

As I said the other day HB, I suspect Goverment will delay until 5th July and see what the data is like during the next few weeks.

And if number of positive tests keeps on increasing, then it would be very risky to increase freedoms and removed H&S requirements.

Could the Goverment enable the amount of testing that would be required, if people were  moving around more including going abroad on holiday, sports events etc.

My local GP pratice has been turned into a Covid vaccination centre and also has a Covid testing site in the car park.  I think most of the GP appointments are being done by phone or Skype.

I don't know enough about the Covid-19 virus and how different it is to flu, but it appears to me that assurances being given by health professionals and policitians, are more about trying to improve public confidence.  There must be conversations taking place about what information should be made public, as the majority of people are not experts and therefore they could not make any assessment to guide them on their behaviours, confidence level etc.

I see some data for lateral flow testing (people attending workplace) on a regular basis and of  daily tests of approx. 5000 conducted around the UK, these normally show 1 person positive and quite often no positive tests.  

It is quite possible that the UK with a population of 68 million, will always have a reasonably large number of positive cases, even after 75% or more have been vaccinated.   As the Government are not going to close UK borders or require everyone who returns to the UK to enter quarantine, then we will to have to live with some people carrying the virus.  At some point, the Government will have a difficult decision to make, which will be to withdraw the free tests for most people.

The Prime Minister is going to be in a very difficult position, as there may not be a majority in Parliament, to back the Governments strategy.   Many Tory backbenchers are not going to be happy, when the planned 21st June changes are postponed by at least 2 weeks. As the number of Covid cases increase in the UK and elsewhere, Government will be faced with having to effectively cancel the holiday plans of millions of people.  This could well lead to many tour operators requiring Government financial assistance. 

And in regard to Labour and other parties, I am not sure they have practical policy alternatives.  A Labour shadow minister, suggested everyone entering the UK should be required to quarantine in provided accommodation.  I cannot see how that would be easily arranged and people would not be willing to pay the £1700 per person cost.

Problems has been that some people coming back from countries that are 'red' rated, is that they have travelled via a 'green' rated country.  There was apparently an increase in people starting their flights in India, travelling to Portugal and then arriving back in the UK with no quarantine. ( someone told me this was the case, not sure on accuracy,)

I wonder whether this is the reason for Portugal being added to the 'amber' list.

This is one of the issues that Government will have to consider, when changing the traffic light status of countries.

I think the India to UK via Portugal issue could be possible, but still a difficult several trip leg to get to the UK..   If you look at the 'green' list it includes countries where it would not be possible or extremely difficult to travel to UK indirectly. 

Green list  
Australia  
Brunei  
Falkland Islands  
Faroe Islands  
Gibraltar  
Iceland  
Israel and Jerusalem  
New Zealand  

Singapore  
South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands  
St Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha

As you say, only wealthy people from 'red' list countries would be able to pay for the country jumping.  But if they have a business back in the UK and can raise the money, then of course they will do what they need to do.

If you closed the UK borders, the economic cost would be much more.   

Each country on the traffic light system will have been risk assessed.  They would factor in whether a country allowed people to transit via them to other countries,  How many countries on the 'green' list would allow people from say China to transit via their airports to other countries?

I am not saying the actions of the UK Government are correct.  But I can guess the reason for the decision in regard to Portugal.  But this may be an incorrect guess and the Government will have other information which they used to make the decision.

Or perhaps the Government realised that having Portugal on the 'green' list meant that most people wanting a European beach holiday, would be going to Portugal, due to limited real options.  Meaning crowded beaches and bars, with the packed flights coming back to the UK.

Transparency would be great.  But I don't associate this with modern day Policiticians.   They probably spend more time discussing how to manage communications than the actual issues. 

The BBC programme "The Thick of It"  is apparently quite an accurate representation of how political advisors try to manage Government Ministers, but fail as the Ministers go off script.

Could argue that Boris, is a mixture of many of the Rainbow characters, including Zippy, Bungle and George.

Might be why Boris is popular with some people.  He reminds them of many of their favourite Childrens TV characters.

• Haha 2

This is probably a question that @BazzaS would know the answer.

Is it possible for someone with Covid type symptons to have a negative LFT, but to then go on to have a positive PCR ?

The PCR is more sophisticated as far as I understand it, with a greater level of accuracy ?

Reason for asking is that I have come across someone with some Covid type symptons having a negative LFT and then having the PCR which also came back as negative.

This person was advised to go thorugh this process by their employers.   Was not sure why they did not just have the PCR.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at front page of some UK newspapers, it appears the Secretary of State for Health Matt Hancock has been taking part in a new Covid testing trial.  The trial being, how to carry out a lateral flow test on two people at the same time ;)

Are there no limits to the sacrifices this Minister is willing to make for the country !

Not looking good for the July 19th freedom day

WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

A further 18,270 people tested positive today in a 77 per cent rise on the 10,321 cases recorded last Saturday. Some 23 people died from Covid...

Reports from Doctors that those going into Hospital with Covid  at the moment, are in a more serious condition than they were previously.  Is this people who have not had vaccinations.

Or are people who have had the vaccinations,  waiting too long to seek help, if  they become unwell, thinking that the vaccination immunity should be given a chance to work.

@tobyjugg2

There is a trial being conducted by Universities in 16 areas of the UK, where someone who has already had two vaccinations is given a further vaccinaton.  They have access to many different vaccinations.

It appears that having O/AZ followed by a different vaccination variety within 6 months, may be the ideal option anid this is what the trial is trying to find out, from what I have read.

WWW.SOUTHAMPTON.AC.UK

Volunteers From Southampton, Portsmouth And Bournemouth Will Soon Be Able To Receive A Third ‘Booster’ COVID-19 Vaccine Through A New...

• Thanks 1

WWW.GOV.UK

New government-funded clinical trial looking at different COVID-19 ‘booster’ vaccines launches in the UK.

Daily Mail also had an article with some preliminary results, but I cannot find it now.  Read it a day or so ago.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 481 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks