Rental discount query - No bathroom

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1661 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, apologies for not knowing which forum to post this in, and apologies for the length.

Am I within my rights to withhold a percentage of this month's rent in regards to the following issue.

In November 2018 a new couple moved into the flat below us and complained about a leak coming from our bathroom. We were asked not to use the shower until they could solve the issue. 10 months later, after a number of visits from various contractors and still unable to shower, we were informed they would be putting in a new bath. I took the day off work to wait for them and nobody showed up so I lost a days wages. They were re booked for Monday 1st October and I arranged for the letting agent to supply them with keys to let themselves in. I received a call later to say they were done for the day, have removed the entire bathroom bar the toilet and have left me a bucket to flush the toilet with as the cistern was removed. When I asked how I was supposed to wash I was told to go to a local gym/leisure centre! Tuesday-the same. Wednesday-the same. Thursday, finally a bath had arrived and new toilet connected. During this week they had used my shower curtain as a sheet to walk on, left two stains on the carpet. Left a thick layer of plaster dust all over the contents of the hall way, unplugged the freezer and not plugged it back in resulting in loss of all contents. Failed to re pressurize the hot water/heating system, and left the new leaking towel rail dripping constantly. It's still leaking today.

Where do I stand regarding a discount on the rent?

Thank you.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

you keep payig the rent but tell the landlord that you expect him to pay for the damage doen to your belongings. No more, no less.

He and the builder will ahve insurance so they wont be paying it out of thier own pockets unless they were negligent but it will take ages to get sorted.

if you ahd to apy to have a shower elsewhere then that goes on the bill as well

Edited by ericsbrother

Surely leaving a tenant with no means of washing for 4 days is a breach of the landlords contractual requirements. And my nearest leisure centre is a mile away, that was an unacceptable request. 

breach of tenancy  would occur if he didnt do something about it. Now consider what you would do if you owned the place and the same problem occurred. If the  builder failed to turn up for exceptional reasons then that is tough, people get this with BG and the like all of the time so loss of wages wont apply for a one off.

My point is you cant deduct money from your rent, you must take the matter up separately and if the LL agrees that you pay less rent then that is fine but it isnt your decision. If you feel like the no show from the builder wasnt for an "exceptional" reason then bill the LL for the lost pay. The multiple visits to assess goes in yur favour as what was needed to be done would be known to the contractor.

Now follow the right procedure and make a proper list of your losses and costs, present it and go from there.