Contract advice...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1698 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I can assure you that enforcement using the High Court enforcement process will be the most effective and powerful means of enforcement. You will not have to lose any percentage of the bill and this is a method of enforcement with real teeth.

Still waiting for you to start your second thread on the remaining work –

Why? If you succeed with your action in respect of the insurance money and particularly if you put the sheriffs in to enforce the judgement then I would have thought that they will be very wary of you and the £800 should be reasonably straightforward. The £800 is also over the High Court enforcement limit so they will be well aware of the dangers and costs associated with High Court enforcement.

On the basis of what you have told us, I really don't see why you should give any ground at all. However if you really are prepared to write off the £800 then it is crazy not to use it as a negotiating tool to get a non-litigation settlement of the insurance money. You may as well get some value from the £800 even if it is only as a negotiating lever.

Your position with them could be that you are prepared to forego the £800 on condition that they pay you the insurance money immediately but if they won't then you will sue them for the insurance money and then separately you will sue them for the £800. In that way you reserve your position and you also exploit the £800 debt so that a promise to write it off for a rapid settlement of the larger some at least gives you some value.

In fact you could start offering them £250 off the £800 for a rapid settlement of everything and be prepared to move to a complete write-off of the £800.

You never know you might even managed to keep some of the £800. However, if they didn't go for it then I would have no hesitation in suing them for both – one after the other.

Please start a thread for the £800 because there are various things you will need to do in any event

I will also chip in regaring using a debt collection agnecy- not worth even considering, they will just charge you but legally can do nothing. Use the courts and them the powers of the high court to enforce the debt. You never know, if they continue to be silly you might own part of a flat