NEW PET DEPOSIT

exeterbay
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1751 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction! 

my other half put a deposit on a dog plus a bit extra - £250 deposit plus another £200 to make it half the payment (£900 dog)

That evening we discussed the dog and agreed that actually its not the right time for us

the next morning she contacted the seller to say sorry and can she refund deposit.

the dog hadn't yet had its jabs and was only  7 weeks old so not able to leave the seller yet.

Seller said no - she would refund the deposit amount of £250 but not the additional £200.

The receipt was not worded 'non refundable' and was just a hand written note.

Where do we stand with this?

many thanks

You would be entitled to recover any actual losses you had put them to. They would not be entitled to keep back more than that.

On a side note – probably unwelcome – I think it's a shame that people are buying animals in this way when there are so many very decent animals of all ages waiting in shelters/rescue homes

• Like 1

Thanks for the speedy reply fodder! so as it wasnt even 24 hrs since we paid a deposit of £250 plus an additional £200 we should be able to have the full amount back? 

The puppy wasnt advertised at that point and it hadnt had all its injections so there were no costs incurred by the seller.

She has returned the £250 deposit but not the extra we paid!

You are entitled to have an account of the money which is held back. I would send them a letter saying to them that although you are happy to pay any administrative losses you have caused by your breach of contract, you are only prepared to do so If they will give you a full breakdown of those losses.

Tell them that failing that, you will bring an action in the County Court in 14 days to recover the entire sum and without any further notice. As usual, only send this letter of claim if you are prepared to go ahead and carry out your threat on day 15.

By the way what is the name of the breeder?

• 3 weeks later...

It would be nice to get an update this thread. We take an interest and also go to some trouble to help people out and it's disappointing to get some feedback even if the matter has come to a dead end for has been simply resolved.