NoI/Driver information for Speeding - no camera

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1759 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Argh. I no sooner sort out a parking problem when back I come for an alleged driving offence, received today. I'm confused, though, because..

(a) The location they give for the offence - there is no camera at that point.

(b) They are a bit ambiguous with whether it's a speeding offence only or also a red light offence, as the NoI says "This vehicle's speed was recorded at (or seconds into red if traffic light offence): Speed 40mph"

Should I in the first instance just ask for a photo? (Whilst I am the main driver of the car, my partner occasionally drives it, so a photo would clear up this, but more importantly it would clear up the whereabouts of the mystery camera.) If so, I would rather mail a letter to them rather than go online to check, would this be okay?

There are a number of "speed on green" cameras around now. They act as red light cameras when the lights are red but as speed cameras when they are green.

A NIP has to include the date and time of the alleged offence, what the offence is and where it took place. Your NIP seems to fulfill those requirements. You can ask for "photographs to help identify the driver". Do not ask for "evidence". You are not entitled to any at this stage and, although less common these days, some areas take this as disputing the matter and refer the case to court instead of offering a course or fixed penalty.

Most areas provide photographs if requested but bear in mind (1) they are not obliged to do so (2) they usually do not help identify the driver (especially if they are rear facing photos) as that is not their purpose and (3) the 28 day "clock" that applies to your requirement to respond to the request for driver's details does not stop. If you fail to respond in time you face a more serious charge which will mean a visit to court and, if convicted, you face six points, a hefty fine and an endorsement code which will see your insurance premiums rocket.

Provided the limit was 30mph you should be offered a course for that speed provided you have not done one for an offence which occurred in the three years prior to this one and the offence was not committed in Scotland (where courses are not yet offered).