Currys overcharged and store refusing refund for difference.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1779 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey! 

So i'm not sure if i'm being really petty here, i bought a TV from curry's pc world 2 weeks ago, while I was there the woman offered me a discount off the TV but then without my knowledge charged me £20 for a service that i don't want or need. It's still in the box unactivated and sealed. When I went to the store to return the service I was told no the service was free because the sales rep has taken the price off the TV for it.

This was not the case and not what I was told in store. I've exhausted option's via twitter  and their telephone customer support. But the long and short of it is I want my £20. It's not about the amount it's because it's mine and I don't want to be bullied out of it.

Am I within my right's to send them a letter before claim notice and if they still refuse to refund my £20 pay the £35 and try claim £55 (The £20 + fees) in court from them? I know it's a small amount but I'm willing to lose a further £35 trying to chase it back just because of how smug and rude the manager was to me.

1 minute ago, fkofilee said:

No Worries - In all honesty - Dont abuse the claims process for £20 - Id let it be. 

I thought that might be the opinion of others. But honestly the way I feel about this is if there going to rob me for £20 how many other's are they doing it too? 

But I understand the position here of not abusing the process for £20, just annoying that the b*stards can do this to people with little recourse! 

I wouldn't at all call it abusing the claims process. that's what the claims process is for and you should feel confident about using it when you need. However, for the amount of money at stake it seems a lot of trouble for very little. Also you may have the problem of evidence because you say that you didn't ask for it and they may said that you did.

You say that you made the purchase two weeks ago. Is there no cooling off period with Currys?

frankly if there's no cooling off period then I would let it go but only because it's not worth it. It's certainly not an abuse

Unfortunately this has been a very common tactic in Currys/PC World for a long time. Basically they give you the service plan first month free, or some other service related item, for 'free' by discounting it from the price of the TV/Laptop. The reason for this is that the stores get better results for selling these services as they're high profit margin items. Whilst individual staff no longer receive commission, the store as a whole are still performance based on these service items and if they sell enough then everyone gets a bonus. It's essentially commission but just shared now.

Make sure that you were't signed up for any kind of Direct Debits as well for a recurring service plan. The way their service plans work is that you pay for the first month upfront in the store, then a direct debit continues every month after that unless you cancel it during the first month.

Edited by MaxxPower

They sent it because they know they are wrong. ALso note that they do not discuss the problem, or even admit any liability or discuss it.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Hey, if youre happy and you have considered the issue fulfilled and closed,  well done :)   Just make sur eyou record the call, incase they say anything about you not posting things publically about it.  They have been known to do that.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D