Faulty blazer 2 years old

Kempos1981
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1874 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hello I'm after some advice please.

I bought a mens blazer from ralph lauren on line shop 2 years ago, the thick wool type.

RRP £420 so obviously should be of high quality and last a reasonable time for the purchase price.

after two years use (only in winter/autumn) the fabric in the upper back has developed an isolated fault (see pics), which seems to be growing bigger.

I've contacted RL and they've fobbed me off saying it is consistent with wear and tear they would expect from 2 years use and regular washing.

Obviously I think a £400 blazer should last a lot longer than this, 10 years at least if not forever, providing properly cared for. It has never even been washed!

it feels like I have purchased a faulty item, even if the fault was not visible at the point of purchase, and has developed with wear, as it has not lasted what most reasonable people would deem to be a reasonable amount of time.

I know the problem will be proving this of course, as they could just say I have damaged it.

I would appreciate some advice /external views, should I pursue this or do I just put this one down to bad luck and suck it up......

Pop the pics up to one multipage pdf

Read how in upload

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

that's weird, don't wear a backpack or anything do you?

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I have worn a backpack from time to time it has padded straps. I don’t think it can be reasonably blamed on wearing a backpack personally! But i know the onus is on me to prove it was faulty which would be difficult 

Looks like possible back pack wear, however to appear on just one side it is possible that there is a fault in the material.Return it to RL they will probably offer some form of recompense.

Can I just advise you from vast experience High End BRANDS are grossly overpriced and far from  being top quality

Good Luck with RL

FS

I have looked at these photos fabric is my thing and I would say something corrosive has been put on the fabric it is wool and would not wear like that without excessive rubbing it take a lot to disintegrate wool it may be accidental.  

there my other half posted that. 45yrs in the wool industry..

if you seriously wanted too, you could get that analysed to prove it.

now how it go there is another matter.

no been tagged by one of these helpful strangers that tap you on your back after spraying you saying theres something on your jacjet to try and steal stuff from you ?

typical trick.

and they

Thanks for your responses. 

I haven’t been tagged by anyone/thing corrosive to my knowledge!

ill try writing a more formal letter to Ralph Lauren quoting consumer rights act etc and see what they say, I’ve dealt with online customer service up to now. Unfortunately I wouldn’t know where to go for a professional second opinion, or whether it would be worth the cost.

i think the reality is I can’t prove it is a fault, I guess they could argue it could have been caught or snagged on something and developed from there. Or a moth eating it in the wardrobe. Who knows.

But knowing how I’ve looked after it and the progressive nature of this fault ( it has been getting bigger with wear) it just feels in my gut like a fault. but then again I am no expert, and I am biased because it feels unfair on me due to the money spent vs the lack of durability.

thanks for your help 

its chemical damage only thing it can be. slowly eating things away.

dx

and they

looks like clothes moth followed by some tugging at the fabric that is presumably associated with the backpack.

the best you can hope for is to get them to accept it back so they can inspect it with a suitable covering note.

Proving a fault at manufacture is going to be nigh on impossible so what you should be looking for is a credit note for around 50% of the value