Charged 5% late payment fee by HMRC

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1876 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had posted off my Tax return in early Feb but the cheque never cashed so I guessed it must have got lost as I got a reminder at the end of Feb. Took the cheque in physically this time to the bank which cashed fine. 

Got a letter today to say I have been charge 5% which is a few hundred that I can't afford. 

Can I appeal this?  Spoke with them on the phone and they weren't to accommodating. 

Appeals are possible but need to be made in writing within 30 days to be considered.

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/self-assessment-legal-framework/salf307

About three quarters of the way down ....this .....

Appeals against the imposition of a surcharge

Section 59C(7) to (10)

The taxpayer may appeal against a surcharge, but must do so within 30 days of the date on which the surcharge was imposed.

In general the normal review and appeals procedures apply (see ARTG2100), but the grounds of appeal are confined to showing that the taxpayer had ‘a reasonable excuse for not paying the tax’ on time.

If it appears to the tribunal that throughout the ‘period of default’ (that is the period from the due date to the day before that on which the tax was paid) the taxpayer had a reasonable excuse for not paying the tax then the surcharge will be set aside.

But if there was no reasonable excuse the imposition of the surcharge will be confirmed.

There is no formal definition of ‘reasonable excuse’, but an inability to pay the tax due shall not be regarded as a reasonable excuse.

Unless you have some sort of proof that you posted your cheque instead of paying online, or some other "reasonable excuse", then you may have difficulty avoiding the 5% surcharge.

Good luck.