Management Company charge sudden substancial increase in fees - what to do?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1902 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The management company for my property (in a small private development) has without warning increased the costs for this year by 60%. This isn't for maintance, just for their fees and service.

One of the increases is for them to act as company secretary of our development, which although they always have done for a nominal amount, this year there's a £350+ increase. They have also added charges for 'compliance and risk assessment', regarding Health & Safety and insurance valuations, none of which we asked for. (It may have been assessed the first year, but I'm not sure without digging out paperwork.)

One of the residents has written (twice!) asking for full explanations into the increase. We are still yet to hear.

There was no warning that this was going to happen, so we've had no opportunity or time to find a different management company for the forthcoming year. We've used this company for about seven years and this is the first time there's been any increase.

Until we hear back, what should I do? Carry on paying my original monthly amount, or the new amount I don't agree with?

Are we contractularly obliged to these costs for the next 12 months because we're already in the new 12 month period now?

"Be reasonable, demand the impossible"

It all depends from the t&c of the contract.

I take that you are in a share of freehold as you said you can change the management company. 

Get the t&c, study them and see if there's anything about charging whatever they want for admin. (I seriously doubt it)

Once you have strict proof that they can't up the fees, sack them.

No contract, no change of fees.

They'll have a copy, but don't tell them you lost yours.

It's not unusual for anyone nowadays to request documents from other party even though they already have their own copy.

This is to fish for either maladministration or worse,  tampering. 

Companies know this (or should know) so they are not surprised of such requests.

Edited by king12345
Add more