jodie louise 2001 vs Abbey

jodie_louise2001
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6283 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey Jodie - it looks like you've done all this in your lunchtime/breaktime !! :rolleyes:

Well done. I spent ages just reading up (lurking !!) before posting, and was amazed at how helpful these guys are here. United in a common cause.

If/when you need help with spreadsheets, Vampiress has an excellent (non-Excel !!) set, also Mindzai's is worth a go. Make sure you read up on Contractual compounded interest first - don't lose out on that !!

FWIW, I used to be on a Pay As You Go internet link, and I used to make a point of saving absolutely everything to my hard drive in as little time as possible. Then I'd check it all out while offline. I'd suggest that you do this in your breaktimes - don't read it all - just save it and either burn it to disk or print it. If you have a home PC., then take a CD-RW to work and download everything - then work on the stuff at home. As long as you save it & burn/print it in your breaktime, then I'm sure security will give you an OK !! :cool:

However, it may be that you're already doing this - in which case, my apologies - and well done, again !!

You're working hard for this, gal. You go get 'em !!

THEY deserve it !!!!! :D

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi Jodie

I was overawed by it all totally when I first come on here, but am now feeling quite confident! You sound like you are doing well.

I sent 3 SARs all together, and personally i think it is a good way to do it (if you have the cash!), as you would be doing all the same stages at the same time. I've written two preliminary letters asking for payment today, and am doing another tomorrow, and once I had done the first letter and excel sheet it was easier to do the others - you get in the zone!

Abbey, however, are a tough nut to crack (well, maybe not tough but they drag it out as long as possible), so you might want to get your other SARS off now, you might not get info til after christmas anyway, and when you have the info you can take your time over your letters and stagger them as you wish.

From my experience, Abbey aren't relying on the microfiche arguement anymore since the OFC visit, but you might have odd statements 'missing' you need to chase.

Apple x

Hiya!

Thanks for your comments - i seem to find myself on here most of the day now - if only checking the progress of others!! I'm not thinking about the spreadsheets yet as i only have maybe 18 months worth of statements (Already gone through them) and shall wait for all of them before i start that mammoth task!! Got what i have in date order so shouldn't be too difficult hopefully.

I was debating sending out the other SARS for Barclaycard and Egg, but i thought i'd see how i get on with this first, and the other charges aren't so much (Eggs only about £250 if that, and B/Card is only about £800) Plus i owe quite a bit on both cards, so would be worried they'd close the account. Hoping that the charges i get back from this will settle both of them (fingers crossed!)

I don't mind waiting till after xmas - once they've sent acknowledgment of receipt their 40 days will expire approx 3rd Jan (Depending on when they date the letter of acknowledgment!) So i'll have xmas break to hide away and go through them meticulously (It's also a good excuse to get away from family should i need to!! Heheehehe!!!!! :razz: )

Hadn't realised they'd stopped with the microfiche argument - either way i'm prepared, have most of the letters drafted and ready to go!!! Woooh!

How's it going with you guys?

x

S.A.R Sent (Rec. Del.): Thurs 23rd Nov 06 ;)

Hi Jodie,

well through constantly phoning them i got a phonecall this morning to tell me my microfiche statements are in the post.

Well knock me down with a bank statement they came this morning (had to pick myself up off the floor lol)

have trailed through them and have found a whole year missing, but thats not a problem am just gona draw up my spreadsheet today and send it tonight.

if you get towards your date when they should arrive and still nothing give sheena small a ring she,s really helpful.

will keep you updated.

lou:D

Sorry - i do have one question....when sending the prelim letter...how do i work out the overdraft interest? I know there's a calculator thingy on here somewhere, but i mean: If i'm looking at my statement, do i look for a "interest fee/charge" or am i looking for something else?

Sorry if that sounds daft - just been going through what i need to do in advance and can't quite figure that bit out!!!

x

Hi Jodie,

well through constantly phoning them i got a phonecall this morning to tell me my microfiche statements are in the post.

Well knock me down with a bank statement they came this morning (had to pick myself up off the floor lol)

have trailed through them and have found a whole year missing, but thats not a problem am just gona draw up my spreadsheet today and send it tonight.

if you get towards your date when they should arrive and still nothing give sheena small a ring she,s really helpful.

will keep you updated.

lou:D

Thanks Lou!!

Wow - i'm mightily impressed at what a phone call can do - will take note of her number just in case!!

Though if you have a year missing are you just going to claim an estimated figure till it arrives?!

xxx

I think i'm going to have to wait for all my statements to be honest. Simply because i really don't think i could give an accurate estimate, because i was at uni for 3 years, and in the proces of moving house several times i don't have an inkling about any charges - so will bide my time and hope they don't mess up too bad! or have huge chunks of info missing!!

Anyway - off to get some lunch! Will talk soon!

PS - if someone can shed some light on the interest thing it would be much appreciated - i think i'm having a blonde moment....well, week at least!!! :D Hehe!!! (No offence to other blondes!!! :p )

*J* xxx

the interest thing made my brain fry so I will try and explain it but I am sure there are better experts then me!

There are two sorts of interest you can claim-

(1) you can claim back interest you have paid on the fees levied whilst you have been overdrawn (overdraft interest). You have to use your statements to work out if you've been charged interest on your overdraft and apportion a part of it to the fees ... for me, the charges being a month later didn't usually make me overdrawn, just broke, so I gave up on this it made my brain fry!. Vampiresses spreadsheets are deeply wonderful for this.

(2) when you get as far as issuing a count court claim or do MCOL, you can automatically claim 8% interest on the money they have appropriated on your account. (So, it's as if you had kept this money and put it in a savngs account). Remember though this isn't until court claim stage.

For me, I just couldn't work out how much interest I might have paid on the fees from my statements for my current account, as you are not necessarily always paying interest on what they take. (it's easier to do for a credt card account ) So, becuase this is Abbey we are dealing with and I am pretty sure it will go to Court/MCOL, I've decided to just wait and get the 8% interest: it a few hundred quid anyway!

Some people on the site have been claiming back the bank's overdraft rate on the fees they have paid at (1) but not always successfully: this is the 'contractual interest' arguement. Basically saying that they have lent the bank money and claiming from the bank, what the bank would have charged them to borrow it. I think this is complicated and a bit risky so best only tried it you are feeling very confident. (Look for the contractual interest threads).

hope that helps in some way :) :)

Apple x

I think i'm going to have to wait for all my statements to be honest. Simply because i really don't think i could give an accurate estimate, because i was at uni for 3 years, and in the proces of moving house several times i don't have an inkling about any charges - so will bide my time and hope they don't mess up too bad! or have huge chunks of info missing!!

Anyway - off to get some lunch! Will talk soon!

PS - if someone can shed some light on the interest thing it would be much appreciated - i think i'm having a blonde moment....well, week at least!!! :D Hehe!!! (No offence to other blondes!!! :p )

*J* xxx

Hi thats exactly wot I done waited then finally after ringing sheena ( after the 40 days) i had 2 lots come the 1st wiv bits missing then the second 3 days later which was complete at least they cant use the microfiche arguement wiv you as they did me!!!! im sure you will do fine good luck!!!!

:p Hello!! :p

Just checked the royal mail website for confirmation of delivery and got this:

Please enter your 13 digit reference number

e.g. AA 0001 0001 9GB

How to find your reference number

Your item with reference DH662221330GB was delivered from our NORTH WEST LONDON Delivery Office on 24/11/06 .

Thank you for using this service.

The electronic Proof of Delivery is not available for this item.

So surely i should have received some acknowledgement? I know my postie's pretty slow (We generally get our first post about 1130-1200, long after i've left for work)

Just getting a bit annoyed at how long they're taking, as i want to start the 40 day countdown and work out exactly how much is owed to me!!!

Patience is a vurtue, as they say!!!

Hope you're all well, and that your claims are progressing nicely!!!

*J*

hi Jodie,

You won't get an acknowledgement just yet (I've sent off 5 SARs and only received 2 acknowledgments in that time). The 40-day countdown has started already though!! :):)

But you will get a letter from someone called 'Pam Speed' at Abbey in a week or two saying she's arranged your statments to be sent to you - I paraphrased the letter I received on my thread (here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/46163-apple-abbey-claim-started.html.) Then you'll get duplicate statements for the last year or so and you should receive the rest as microfiche printed out info.

I would advise you to check VERY CAREFULLY that you have all your statements (ie no months are missing) and also that they are all yours - the cheeky buggers seem to be suspiciously good at missing out a few months or sending ones from someone else!! Either that or they have all the poor little work experience kids on it ;)

With any luck you'll be sending your prelim letter off before christmas! I've jsut done mine, so with the LBA in 2 weeks I am expecting to be doing my court action on the 22nd Dec ...now, I am a vegetarian but Abbey is one turkey i'll be happy to stuff this Christmas :D :D

Apple x

hi Jodie,

You won't get an acknowledgement just yet (I've sent off 5 SARs and only received 2 acknowledgments in that time). The 40-day countdown has started already though!! :) :)

But you will get a letter from someone called 'Pam Speed' at Abbey in a week or two saying she's arranged your statments to be sent to you - I paraphrased the letter I received on my thread (here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/46163-apple-abbey-claim-started.html.) Then you'll get duplicate statements for the last year or so and you should receive the rest as microfiche printed out info.

I would advise you to check VERY CAREFULLY that you have all your statements (ie no months are missing) and also that they are all yours - the cheeky buggers seem to be suspiciously good at missing out a few months or sending ones from someone else!! Either that or they have all the poor little work experience kids on it ;)

With any luck you'll be sending your prelim letter off before christmas! I've jsut done mine, so with the LBA in 2 weeks I am expecting to be doing my court action on the 22nd Dec ...now, I am a vegetarian but Abbey is one turkey i'll be happy to stuff this Christmas :D :D

Good morning Apple!! Thanks so much for your advice - read the letter - seems pretty standard! I'll def have a thorough search through any statements i do receive just to be sure....just for clarification though - do the 40 days start from when they signed for it then?! (Not sure why i assumed i had to wait for them to acknowledge it!! :oops: )

Fingers crossed that i can get the ball rolling before chrimbo, depends on how efficient shabbey are likely to be (not holding out much hope!!!)

At least now i can stop waiting for the postman to arrive!!!

I'll help you give the cheeky so and so's a stuffing i'm sure - along with everyone else on the board!!! Woooh!

Thanks again!

*J*

• 2 weeks later...

Morning guys! Long time no see - hope you're all well!

I, personally, am absolutely fuming!!

Received a letter yesterday, from the ever efficient Pam Speed as follows:

Thanks for your letter dated 22nd November 2006, which we received on 27th November 2006, requesting information on your account.

I note that the address on your letter differs from that registered on your account. For your own security we are only able to send this information to the registered address. I have therefore enclosed a Change of Details form for you to complete and return to us along with proof of address (blah blah blah). We will not be able to provide your list of transactions until this information has been returned to us.

I therefore enclose your £10 fee for safe-keeping. Please return this with your proof of identification and a copy of this letter in order that we may proceed with your request.

If you have any questions please call us on the above number (08459 724724 - standard number methinks?!)

SOOOO - i'm a little peed off to be honest. Seeing as i went in to my local Abbey the day before to complete the above form, and the girl behind the counter said she'd do it there and then.

So WHY (almost 3 weeks later) is it not there?!

My question now being..am i going to have to start again? Seeing as they returned my postal order - i'm b*ggered really, aren't i? Going to call them in a bit.

GRRRRRRRRR :mad: :mad: :mad::-x :-x :-x

Any help would be cool - thanks!!

xxxxxxxx

That is really annoying, Jodie. In hindsight - NEVER trust the counter clerks with anything you don't have to.

Take deep breaths for now & calm down !!! :-x

They can ask for verification that you are indeed the person who is the subject of the S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) - it's for our own protection, really, but they also use it as a delay tactic, I reckon.

I would suggest that you send them a further letter with as much identifying detail as possible. Include ALL relevant addresses and ALL relevant account numbers. Explain that you are supplying the info to assist them, but that these are not necessarily the only accounts, and you require all information pertaining to your dealings with them.

Explain that you did actually fill in that form at your branch, and that it is not your fault that the form didn't reach the Data Controller, as the clerk said they would do this.

Also explain that they should have contacted you earlier about this verification being still required, and that there are only XX days left out of the 40 days during which they must supply the data. After that, they will be in breach of the Act and liable to criminal prosecution. Fill in the form they have sent you, and re-send the PO with it all.

That's my suggestion, anyway.

THEN - go down to your branch and demand to see the clerk who fouled this up for you and VERBALLY WRING HER SCRAWNY BL**DY NECK !!! :-x

HTH

Bill.

PS give them a further 7 days on top of the 40, as they are entitled to ask you for identity verification - but NOT take 3 weeks doing it !!

Hi Bill, thanks ever so much!

Still not sure what to do with regards to the £10 fee they sent back - should i send it back with the letter saying they now have until the 11th Jan 07 to complete my request (incl the extra 7 days you suggested for verification)

I rang that number last night - but they said they had the address on one part of the system but not the other (Damn confusing if you ask me!) Not sure whether calling them again would help!?!

*sigh* Guess i'll just have to wait a little longer....

xxx

Glad I was of use. I wouldn't hold out much hope with that phone number. You'll probably just be fobbed off with a "leave it with me" - just like that wretched clerk at your branch. I think the PO is still re-usable, isn't it ? So I'd send it back with your polite but stiff letter. They can't say you never paid them then.

HTH

Bill.

Bill, i tried that number, got referred from pillar to post, was told i'd be diverted to my local branch....and was then cut-off. (Nice huh!)

Have drafted this letter to send back..can you tell me if it looks ok. Will also fill out the 2nd address form and send copies of ID!!

Dear Pam

Thanks for your letter dated 7th December 2006, which I received on 11th December 2006, requesting verification of my identity.

I would, however, like it noted, that I filled out a change of address form in the Leeds branch, in person, with valid identification on 22nd November 2006, for this purpose.

I understand your need for security, however as the form has already been completed, the mistake is within your Company, and not with myself, and a request for my identity should have been made earlier. To this end, an extra 7 days have been added to the 40 day request, giving you just 30 days from the date of this letter, during which to supply the requested information.

To proceed with this in a timely manner, I shall complete yet another form and enclose a copy of my Driver’s licence, along with the £10 fee, as before.

I look forward to your swift response

Yours sincerely

Anything i should add/amend/remove?!?!

Thanks for you help - don't wanna sound like a b!tch! Just don't wanna be messed about

*J* xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Bill, i tried that number, got referred from pillar to post, was told i'd be diverted to my local branch....and was then cut-off. (Nice huh!)

Have drafted this letter to send back..can you tell me if it looks ok. Will also fill out the 2nd address form and send copies of ID!!

Dear Pam

Thanks for your letter dated 7th December 2006, which I received on 11th December 2006, requesting verification of my identity.

I would, however, like it noted, that I filled out a change of address form in the Leeds branch, in person, with valid identification on 22nd November 2006, for this purpose. and was assured that this would be actioned immediately.

I understand your need for security, however as the form has already been completed, the mistake is within your Company, and not with myself, and a request for my identity should have been made earlier. To this end, an extra 7 days have been added to the 40 day request, giving you just 30 days from the date of this letter, during which to supply the requested information.

To proceed with this in a timely manner, I shall complete yet another form and enclose a copy of my Driver’s licence, along with the £10 fee, as before.

I look forward to your swift response

Yours sincerely

Anything i should add/amend/remove?!?!

Thanks for you help - don't wanna sound like a b!tch! Just don't wanna be messed about

*J* xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Be polite but firm, Jodie. Very firm. Didn't you say it has taken them 3 weeks already ? in which case they haven't got another 30 days. They get 40 days from the date they received your SAR, plus another 7 for getting back to you for verification. So give them 50 days from when you posted the SAR. They can't have more than 14 to 20 days left, surely. Don't give them any more - they'll just take advantage of you.

Include ALL relevant addresses and ALL relevant account numbers.

Include ALL relevant addresses and ALL relevant account numbers. Explain that you are supplying the info to assist them, but that these are not necessarily the only accounts, and you require all information pertaining to your dealings with them.

That look's good to me, matey. My suggestions in red, but up to you to include them.

Sorry you had to drag me outta the pub with a PM, BTW !! :D

• Haha 1