Instant charging, can they do this?

e888boo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6612 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

My girlfriend paid cash in to her bank account 1 day late to cover a DD, so NatWest refused the DD and immediately debited £38 the same day for going over her overdraft, which then meant that she was short £38 when the DD was represented, so therefore NatWest refused it again and charged another £38 immediately.

However she never received any notification of either charges being taken so that the £38 downfall could have been made up in time.

Anyway can the banks take charges immediately and without any notification?, Abbey usually send a letter, (not that they always arrive), and debit the charges at the end of the month.

Cheers

Jaime

The banks seem to do what they like - I would suggest you tell your girlfriend to open up a parachute account, move her DDs and salary, get reading the FAQs on this forum and get the ball rolling to claim back her money

25/06/08 - NatWest - Prelim letter

09/03/06 - Halifax - Settled 27/4

22/03/06 - Capital One - Settled 24/6

17/04/06 - Nationwide - Settled 8/9

Hit the DONATE BUTTON and give 5% back to support this site!

Natwest seem to no longer send you a letter to tell you they are charging you, yep its rubbish.

Do you have a website? Add the following code to add a link to The Consumer Action Group:

<a href="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk"><b><font color="#FF0000" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">The Consumer Action Group</font></b></a> - <font color="#FF9900" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Reclaim your rights as a consumer and reclaim your unfair bank charges! Free site with letter templates and helpful forum.</font>

It is, however a direct breach of the Banking code, which states that they will give you 14 days notice.

I had this with FD the other day - the woman was patronising and rude when I asked about the banking code.

So, more fool them. I might even wait a couple of years before suing them to get the 8% interest.

Oh, they don't do themselves any favours, do they?

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

I can't think of any District Judge that would be impressed with such action!

The law maybe reason without passion as Aristotle said, but hey, he said nothing about having fun when getting even!

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal expereince. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Reputation Points Always Welcome

Seems to be standard practice for NW. The only things they seem to give me notice for are the £28 they charge for me going over my limit. Bounced DDs, as well as card payments and cheques that take me (further) over my limit (or cheques which simply bounce) incur instant charges. Hence my getting charged £325 (almost precisely a quarter of my net monthly wage) last month.

DPA Letter received by NatWest 11/04/2006

DPA Request expires 21/05/2006

Statements received 15/05/2006

LBA sent 15/05/2006

If you find me vaguely coherent, click the scales.

I've also just had this happen a DD bounced (Paypal...which I will also take issues with), charge of £38 and a further charge of £28 for going overdrawn (I have no overdraft on this account) payable on the 31st May even if I pay up immediately! Is this fair? :?

I think we can safely say it's not. It's whether or not it's legal that's the big question...

DPA Letter received by NatWest 11/04/2006

DPA Request expires 21/05/2006

Statements received 15/05/2006

LBA sent 15/05/2006

If you find me vaguely coherent, click the scales.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 09 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6612 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks