How to show foreign loss on tax return

Bonnie66
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2382 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I have posted previously re a debt my son has in Dubai

He was self employed while out there for 5 months.

We have now come to do his tax return and I would like to know if we can show this debt as a loss on the return. ?

Thanks in advance.

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?480103-dubai-debt-and-CWD

Edited by Andyorch
Thread link added

that is not a loss that is claimable as it is nothing attributable to his business.

Same as I cant claim for all those lottery tickets that didnt win against tax

The loan was for accommodation (year in advance rent paid as is normal in Dubai) The job he had supplied accommodation for 1st month then he was responsible for finding his own . Surely therefore it is a business cost as if nowhere to live couldn't fulfil contract ?

No it isnt. Everyone has to live somewhere, they have to eat, wear clothes etc so none of these things are tax deductable. It is now clear he wasnt even self employed so wouldnt be able to claim things that may be claimable if he was.

Yes he was self employed He did have a contract but was responsible for his own tax That said you are right re being unable to claim for accommodation as confirmed today by HMRC so for that I thank you

you had better go and read up on UK tax law as it applies to expatriate workers and the read about what is considered employment and what is self employment. As he was abroad he wouldnt be able to claim anyway. He was responsible for his own tax because you dont get taxed as a foriegn worker in Dbai but you still have UK tax liabilities unless you become domiciled elsewhere rather than just a resident