Breaking up with partner

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2527 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Some advice to pass on to my daughter, please.

She and her partner separated in April 2016 and although they have a daughter together it has been like trying to get blood from a stone to get him to pay maintenance so the bank of mum and dad stepped in and now the CSA are involved.

Saying all of this she has now had her renewal pack and HMRC state that because he got a job after they broke up in July 2016 that his income must be taken into account and that she owes them 600 plus pounds. Even when I explained that they were not together at any time between April 2016 and now and that in fact she had notfied them of this change of circumstances and had an ongoing single claim, the HMRC advisor was adamant this was fair and correct yet I do not see how it can be.

Has anyone been in a similar situation and if so what would you advise me to do on her behalf.

From what you have said I'm afraid it sounds like the advisor is correct. Tax Credits is based on the income for the whole tax year for both partners.

It is essentially worked out on the basis of a year then proportioned down to X number of days. If they split up in April the claim was for a short number of days which has likely impacted the overpayment too (because yearly amount divide by weekly or 4 weekly payments probably exceed the exact amount for X number of days).

Edit: with regards to writing, I would say head office (who answer the letters) are no more qualified that phone advisors, in some instances far less so.