Help Please With Daughter Ex Boyfriend Renting Scenario

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2573 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello All

I wonder if anyone can advise on my daughters situation please. She is 18 and in her first year at university. Against our advice she ditched her student accommodation to move in with her boyfriend in his flat.

The boyfriend's dad owns the flat that they live in and they rent it from him.

They have an assured shorthold tenancy for a furnished flat for 12 months (Jan 1st 2017 - Jan 1st 2018)

Both their names are printed on the tenancy but only my daughters signature is on there for some reason which I find strange.

They have now spilt up and the Landlord (ex boyfriend's dad) wants her out by 1st June 2017.

She wants to move out and find her own place but just wondered what the law says ?

Is there any relevance that only she signed the tenancy despite it being in both names ?

Thank you so much.

Victoria

Hello All

I wonder if anyone can advise on my daughters situation please. She is 18 and in her first year at university. Against our advice she ditched her student accommodation to move in with her boyfriend in his flat.

The boyfriend's dad owns the flat that they live in and they rent it from him.

They have an assured shorthold tenancy for a furnished flat for 12 months (Jan 1st 2017 - Jan 1st 2018)

Both their names are printed on the tenancy but only my daughters signature is on there for some reason which I find strange.

They have now spilt up and the Landlord (ex boyfriend's dad) wants her out by 1st June 2017.

She wants to move out and find her own place but just wondered what the law says ?

Is there any relevance that only she signed the tenancy despite it being in both names ?

Thank you so much.

Victoria

Technically she doesn't have to leave if she has a valid tenancy agreement.

If she and the landlord both want to end the tenancy I'd suggest it should be agreed in writing with the landlord and the ex-boyfriend to avoid the risk of the landlord coming after her for rent at a later date.

Lack of signature does not mean boyfriend is not part of the agreement. Other evidence such as the fact that he lived there and has his name on the agreement could be used as proof. But it sounds like this issue is not relevant as long as everyone is happy for her to leave.

if she wants time to sort herself out then LL will have to apply for a repossession order and have a reason for doing so. This will cost him so you/daughter should not be pressured. Basically make sure that any advantage is hers, not LL's