Will she be sanctioned (UC) for quitting work after being harassed?

silverlady
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2596 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Asking for a friend and any advice appreciated.

She is on universal credit with her partner(female) and two young children and had a job working early morning shifts whilst also trying to earn money self employed (all declared). She has suffered bullying, humiliation in front of colleagues and sexual harassment from her boss, the owner of the business. She is also disabled and in receipt of mobility DLA. One of the children is also disabled.

Yesterday she had enough and, in tears, walked out and refuses to go back to work. They have been trying to contact CAB for advice but are worried that she will now face sanctions for leaving her job voluntarily, although, as I understand it, she seems to have good reason and will be pursuing legal action against her boss. (Sanctions are only imposed if you leave your job WITHOUT GOOD REASON as far as I know).

Can someone advise, is she likely to be sanctioned? How difficult is it going to be to get redress for the harassment and bullying?

Thank you.

She has only been in the job about eight months and seemed to be doing really well, then she was recently sexually propositioned by the man (even though she is open about being gay) who began to bully and humiliate her after she rejected his advances. She has not taken any action, hoping that it would all die down and not wishing to jeopardise her job as they need the money. It seems to have all just come to a head and she just left, so she hasn't yet taken any action at all. I have heard that he is constantly trying to contact her on her phone so he is either worried that she may take action and wants to apologise, or worse, he wants to threaten her.

Speaking first hand, I got sanctioned by Universal Credit because I left my job due to bullying. I had no faith in the grievance procedure.

The Presenting Officer for the DWP said that I left my job voluntarily because I had not made use of the grievance procedure.

The Social Security and Benefits Tribunal sided with the Presenting Officer.

I have appealed the Decision to the Upper Tribunal on the basis that the DWP is assuming the grievance procedure would have changed anything.

I will let you know if/when I have heard anything but provisionally I would say, expect to be sanctioned.

Speaking first hand, I got sanctioned by Universal Credit because I left my job due to bullying. I had no faith in the grievance procedure.

The Presenting Officer for the DWP said that I left my job voluntarily because I had not made use of the grievance procedure.

The Social Security and Benefits Tribunal sided with the Presenting Officer.

I have appealed the Decision to the Upper Tribunal on the basis that the DWP is assuming the grievance procedure would have changed anything.

I will let you know if/when I have heard anything but provisionally I would say, expect to be sanctioned.

I thank you so much for this reply, at least it gives her some indication of what to expect. I could not find the "grievance procedure" via the link provided but, as this is a small company and it's the owner who is doing the harassing, I feel that there is no one to whom she could have complained.