Yellowbirds.co.uk CCJ for £15

lam09
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2620 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

my friend was using an out of school club for her son.

She booked in a date but then cancelled it using her work email, when her mother offered to help with the care instead.

The session was for £15.

She then moved both house and her job 2 months later.

A whole year later she found that she had a CCJ on her credit rating for the £15.

As she had moved home (with no mail redirection) and changed jobs, she did not receive any demands for payment etc.

she paid the £100 or so to have it set aside based on that she never received any demand for payment.

She went to court to have it set aside, and they upheld the decision based on the fact she couldn't find the email cancelling the service.

It really shouldnt be illegal to damage someones credit rating like this for £15.

Is there anything that she can do?

She now wants to apply for a mortgage but this is probably going to affect her ability

Edited by lam09

I completely agree. It is a disgrace. Please will you let us know which is the company which has decided to sue a mother for £15.

Now that she has made the set-aside application and has failed, I'm afraid there is probably very little she could do.

I'm certainly surprised at the result of the set-aside procedure. Was this done on the papers or was there a hearing?

I'm afraid the only thing to do is to pay the judgement some and then tried to deal with the company and appeal to their better nature to agree to a set-aside of the judgement so that she can get on with her life.

I suppose that she could appeal the decision but it would probably involve more expense. On the other hand, having her opportunity to get a mortgage blighted for a considerable period of time might make it worth it

What's your single mother?

Which company is it?

She attended court and presented all the papers, the contract (or lack thereof) with the out of school club - which had no cancellation policy or procedure either etc. But the court sided in their favour that she had to pay - for £15! The company is flatly refusing to help. They dont care at all about what they have done.

You haven't told us who the company is