style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2625 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks,

So I am not to experienced dealing with letting agents, their reputation for lack of morals has me avoiding contact if necessary. I have an agent who intends to charge me a relisting fee of 400 pounds if I were to end my contract 2 months early. Yes it is legal in the contract as per their outlined conditions.

"If the tenant vacates the premises during the term apart from according to any agreed break clause which is included within the agreement the tenant will remain liable to pay the rent and any other monies payable under this agreement until the term expires; or the premises are relet whichever is earlier.In addition an administration charge of £400.00 (inc. VAT) will become immediately due to cover the landloard's cost of remarketing, reletting and administration costs. Please note that this early termination must be agreeable with the landlord."

So it looks like they have me by the balls there.

BUT

Upon closer inspection I see that in the shorthold tenancy agreement I also find the following:

The tenant shall pay to the Landlord or the Landlord's agent *NAME REDACTED* by way of rent the amount of £550 per half yearly by Bank Standing Order to: *NAME REDACTED*.

So I am paying £550 per month, but they say per 6 months/half yearly. Am I legally only obliged to pay £550 every 6 months?

Many thanks from a destitute university graduate.

Please check this thread for a reply tomorrow.

IMO the admin charge demanded is not related to amount or freq of rent payable.

If LL wanted to increase rent to £575 pcm, you may have had a case, even though you accepted paying £550 pcm to date.

Hell, around here I doubt you could rent a newspaper stand for

the contract may well say half yearly but you and the landlord have agreed to vary this contract by you paying £550 a month and the LL accepting it and letting you to continue living there. So not an argument to put forward I'm afraid

So, the poijn to consider is are the fees for reletting reasonable and who get the money? We know the answer, the agency does and they will spend very little of it finding a new tenant. You could try and negotiate around this by talking to the LL directly but most who use an unscrupulous agency do so because they arent up to the job of being a professional landlord in the first place