Car Wash Disaster !

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2651 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys, could do with some help...

I took my car to a local car wash yesterday morning.

Later on, after my car had dried, I noticed patches all over the car, where the lacquer had been power washed off.

Some patches are quite large, so now my car looks an absolute mess.

I returned to the car wash this morning to ask if there was anything they could do about it,

and to be blunt, they dont.

They weren't prepared to do anything.

I asked for they're Public Liability Insurance details, only to be told they hadn't got any.

I thought this was a legal requirement

. So What can I do ?

Regards...Dave G :evil:

This is a bit of a strange story. Maybe you could post some photographs – in PDF format would be helpful.

How old is the car – and what condition is it in? Was there anything strange about the wash which you noticed?

I think it would be worth researching the Internet to see if this is something that happens from time to time.

I think that in order to be able to make a complaint, you would have to start off by saying that your paintwork was in good condition to begin with and that there is no particular reason why your car should have responded/reacted in that way.

What kind of car what is it? Who runs it? Is it part of a big chain? I think you need to tell us quite a lot more about it all. Were you in attendance while the car was being washed? Is it one of these things where you sit in the car and the rollers move over it et cetera?

I think you are responsible for your paint work in any event.

The likelihood of a car wash having enough power it it,

or in a jet wash nozzle having enough power in it,

to strip good paintwork is highly unlikely.

I'm guessing an old car with poor paintwork to start, or one with a poorly completed respray would be my guess.

Grumpy to say the least.

There are plenty of power washers on the market, that will easily strip the paint from a car, whaterever the condition or age.

All manufacturers use water based paints these days.

It is my own car, it is 10 years old, yes I sat in it while it was washed.

I also take it to other car washes regularly without issues.

Hope this answers your queries...

Regards...Dave G.

Ps. Also it has never been resprayed or been accident damaged.

The paintwork was in very good condition.

The reason the lacquer came off was because the power wash nossle was held too close to the car.

Hmmm, I am struggling to believe that the unit has washed the paint off your car,

I assume that this is not the first car that they have ever washed and if there unit was that strong they would have noticed by now.

Either way you will need to prove that the washer did the damage and it is not just a case of the flakey lacquer blowing off.

Suggest that you get an engineers report then issue a small claims.

It is easier to enter a rich man than for a camel to pass a needle

Hmmm, I am struggling to believe that the unit has washed the paint off your car, I assume that this is not the first car that they have ever washed and if there unit was that strong they would have noticed by now. Either way you will need to prove that the washer did the damage and it is not just a case of the flakey lacquer blowing off. Suggest that you get an engineers report then issue a small claims.

That is the crux of the matter. Obtaining proof that the condition of the car is not the issue and that the car wash was likely to be responsible. A court claim could be issued without obtaining a report on the car, but if the car wash operator defended the claim, then the proof is going to be needed.

I should imagine that a report on the car paint condition is going to cost over £100 and it might not be helpful, as it might say that the age of the car, plus other factors e.g climate are contributing factors. Any unhelpful points are going to be seized upon to defend the claim.

If the OP is a member of AA/RAC and can access any helpline to obtain advice, then it might be worth phoning them. Also if they have any Insurances with a legal helpline they can also call them. But i should imagine that the advice will be similar to that offered here.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I have removed two posts that are unrelated to the thread. Bubble, you may not agree with everybody's opinion but you've asked for advice on an open forum and will receive a range of views.

Please don't descend into personal abuse.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Time to name the Car Wash company ...are they reputable...was they using recommended approved equipment designed for car washing or an old Karcher that is capable of stripping paint ?

Does the Car Wash company offer any Notice of Liability?

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Jet washers are well known for stripping paint. Live and learn. Next time get a bucket and sponge and wash it yourself; it's what I always do and never had a problem.

Public liability insurance is not compulsory for a car wash outfit.

• 2 weeks later...

A very common problem, have seen this a fair few times recently. By far and away it happens to vehicles that have had previous paintwork, especially smart repairs on the corner bumpers. A powerful jetwash can and will blow holes in an older vehicle if corrosion is present.

Many of these car washes have no idea regarding income tax/liability insurance etc.

Good luck.