question about keeping the outcome confidential

circuit
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6621 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

does anyone know how a bank would penalise someone for breaking a confidentiality agreement? are they likely to bother - and what form would it take? surely they could not demand the payment back?

alo, if someone's account was closed after they had promised confidentiality, how would they go about complaining to the OFT (for example) and explaining the events that lead up to it?

Hi circuit,

I'm no lawyer, but I'd have thought a confidentiality agreeent should say what you're supposed to keep confidential and also outline or detail the penalties. For example, I'd expect if it was to do with the amount you received, it would say maybe that if you revealed the amount you'd have to give some or all, of it back?

Surely it can't just be a blanket agreement that you're not allowed to discuss any of your dealing with the bank again in public?

Neil.

To be honest I just wouldn't sign any sort of confidentiality clause. You don't have to and therefore there would be no penalty if you did accidentally let something slip.

Don't forget to contribute to the CAG. Without them we would probably still be drafting our prelim letters.

OH Cap One - £436/ So far received £40. MCOL submitted 17/7/06. Caved 4/8/06 for full amount!!!

OH Monument - £140, claim filed 8th May. Requested judgement by default, settled in full 4th July via out of court settlement (see thread). Total £192ish received.

Me Barclays - £630. Received letter 13th May offering £300 full and final (they can bog off). Claim filed 16th May. Acknowledgement of Service filed 22nd May to defend all of the claim. Allocation Questionnaire completed and Stay been ordered by Judge on 18/7/06!!!

hm, well i guess it's too late for some... and to be honest it's probably convenient for a lot of people to sign a confidentiality clause rather than battle on even longer? it may not be advisable, but a lot of people are wary of court action and glad to see the back of the dispute.

you are problably right. but my original questions were - what form would punishment take? how does confidentiality affect the right to complain in the future? how much can you disclose, and at what point do you have to 'shut up'? i'm starting to wonder why banks are not providing terms and conditions with these confidentiality agreements.

i'm starting to wonder why banks are not providing terms and conditions with these confidentiality agreements.

Probably to cover as wide as possible any circumstances, so you can't wriggle round the agreement, so you think you have to keep everything quiet and not reveal a little bit here and there, which eventually gives the whole thing away.

I've not had an offer yet, still at the first letter sent stage. I hope when I get an offer, if it contains any confidentiality agreement, I'll remember to ask for specific terms and that it's worthwhile signing, ie that they offer me a lot more than the amount I'm actually claiming, otherwise what's the point? The fact that they are trying to keep things quiet to me again admits we are in the right.

Neil.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 08 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6621 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks