Landlord wants to do an inspection before my tenancy ends

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2710 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I have served notice to my landlord to move out of my apartment on 01/12/2016. There are no arrears and everything is up to date.

My landlord however wants to do an inspection on 14/12/2016 which is over 2 weeks before the tenancy ends and I feel will not truly represent the condition the property will be in before handing the apartment back to him.

The reasons given by him for doing this are to get an assessment done for trades people to fit there schedules and to prepare the property for the letting agent.

This is all very well and good but the landlord has said if they cannot gain entry they have said the following and I quote "It will be a long time before you can get your deposit back if at all"

The LL requested access on Monday for the pre-end inspection. However I advised I am currently harboring a contagious condition, which I have had 6 courses of antibiotics to treat, been struggling with for over 2 months and it's still not close to gone. I also have extensive medical history and take various medications for my ailments nearly all of which cause some form of drowsiness.

I am also classed as a vulnerable person.

I have said to the landlord that I am harboring this condition and that it is contagious. I have not had any response since then despite a reply the same day. I have chased him up today and still no response. I could absolutely evidence that I've had several hospital visits in the last 3 months for this condition.

During the weekend I was involved in an accident, my arm is in a sling as I cannot use my left hand at all. So as you've probably gathered I'm not feeling too social at the moment.

I am aware that he probably has the right to enter in these circumstances, But I feel the inspection won't be a genuine representation of the condition of the flat after I leave. I plan to repair some things which have broken overtime and deep clean the property as I have lived there for 4 years.

Can anyone suggest how I should approach this please?

I don't want to make out that I'm using these ailments as an excuse to deny the landlord entry. I'm actually thinking I don't want to pass him the condition. But threatening the deposit if he can't get in? Really?! Seems a little unreasonable if you ask me.

Thanks again in advance for any advice :)

This is how I spend most of my life :ranger:

Let him in and keep coughing in his face 😀

There's no harm in inspecting the property to understand what needs to be done before is let to someone else.

It would also benefit you because you will know what he expects to be fixed and what he's not bothered about.

Example: If there's a hole in the wall and he's gonna redecorate the all place, probably he's gonna say that it doesn't matter.

Broken curtain rail... Same thing, maybe he will replace all of them.

I would let him do the inspection.

He should not enter without your express permission but any LL may be concerned if a T avoids a pre-.notified inspection request. You may be infectious but it is unlikely to be serious for others.

It may be already too late to avoid the inspection tomorrow, but I guess you will not be at work, so be at home and deny entry if not convenient. Or invite a friend/neighbour around if you have any concerns over LL visit.

Any final move-out Inspection should not be conducted until after you have vacated, but if you allow entry, at LLs risk, you will be aware of any LL concerns, which gives you 2 weeks to poss rectify eg cleaning.

Thank you both. My main concern was passing on the infection and getting grief from the LL for that. I also do not feel fit enough to potentially sign documents if this was required.

I feel a good opportunity could be missed if I abort the visit as I won't fully understand his expectations. I'll invite him to proceed but will make it clear that I won't accept any fault or liability if he picks up the illness...

Thank you both. My main concern was passing on the infection and getting grief from the LL for that. I also do not feel fit enough to potentially sign documents if this was required.

I feel a good opportunity could be missed if I abort the visit as I won't fully understand his expectations. I'll invite him to proceed but will make it clear that I won't accept any fault or liability if he picks up the illness...

You told him you have an infectious illness, if he comes along he's taking his chances and you couldn't be held liable.

Tough luck!

Landlord came yesterday and seemed reasonably happy with everything. He wants me to replace a broken cabinet in lounge (Door has crack near the handle) and a fridge pocket where the handle has snapped. Both things seem reasonable to me.

He mentioned he was repainting the property anyway so I wouldn't be liable for the odd scuffs here and there.

He did try and threaten a £50 charge if he couldn't gain entry for a visit though... :lol:

Yes deposit is in a protected scheme, think it's DPS from memory.

Landlord came yesterday and seemed reasonably happy with everything. He wants me to replace a broken cabinet in lounge (Door has crack near the handle) and a fridge pocket where the handle has snapped. Both things seem reasonable to me.

He mentioned he was repainting the property anyway so I wouldn't be liable for the odd scuffs here and there.

He did try and threaten a £50 charge if he couldn't gain entry for a visit though... :lol:

Yes deposit is in a protected scheme, think it's DPS from memory.

See? Wasn't too bad!