Where do I stand with a replacement for my faulty Apple 2010 MacBook Pro?

GuitarStu
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2730 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi CAG,

There is a known hardware fault amongst Apple and the Apple community in relation to my Apple MacBook Pro model (Mid 2010) whereby a hardware panic during the dynamic graphics card switching causes the MacBook to crash.

I got in touch with Apple Support who advised that my MacBook is now considered as "Vintage" and so replacement parts are no longer manufactured, nor am I able to send it to Apple for repair. This fault has been reported to Apple many times from other owners, but I have never received contact from Apple to recall my laptop or advise me that there is a certain time period to receive a repair until it is deemed "Vintage". I am now left with a faulty laptop that constantly crashes, unfit for purpose and looses my work if I haven't pressed save before the laptop decides to crash. So, the only option for me now is to replace the laptop.

During my call with Apple Support I asked if they are able to replace the laptop or even discount a new laptop to offset my faulty one. They advised that I need to visit an Apple Store and raise it with them there.

I do not have any stores close to me, so before I decide to make the journey to one, would anyone able to offer advice as to where I stand with a replacement be it at a discount?

If you are dealing with a laptop which has lasted you well since 2010 until now, then I think it's likely that you will be counting upon the goodwill to give you some kind of discount

. Under the Sale of Goods Act you were entitled to buy a laptop of satisfactory quality and which would remain that way for a reasonable period of time.

To my mind six years or so is not bad going although I would agree that it would be not too unreasonable for it to last longer than that

. If it really is an acknowledged fault then you have some strength to your argument,

but I think that probably you're going to end up relying on goodwill because the amount of discount would probably not enough to warrant any formal action.

If you are dealing with a laptop which has lasted you well since 2010 until now, then I think it's likely that you will be counting upon the goodwill to give you some kind of discount

. Under the Sale of Goods Act you were entitled to buy a laptop of satisfactory quality and which would remain that way for a reasonable period of time.

To my mind six years or so is not bad going although I would agree that it would be not too unreasonable for it to last longer than that

. If it really is an acknowledged fault then you have some strength to your argument,

but I think that probably you're going to end up relying on goodwill because the amount of discount would probably not enough to warrant any formal action.

Hi BankFodder,

Thank you for your speedy reply and advice. I will bear what you said in mind. I would hope that brand reputation is important to Appke so a goodwill discount isn't too much to ask of them.