style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2781 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Hope someone can help with my query.

Some weeks back I received 2 notices of enforcement via post re Council tax liabilities sent from a bailiff.

However, I disagreed with the figures as they did not correspond with an email I had been sent by the Council earlier in the year.

I decided to respond by emailing the council 2 weeks ago to dispute both bills saying that I was disputing the sums owed and that I wanted them to take back the debts as I would not deal with the bailiff. I wanted to deal with the Council directly.

Today, via email, I received notification from the bailiff that they would be sending someone to my property with the Intention of Taking Control of my Goods.

The only people who could have informed the bailiff of my email address was the Council.

I consider this intrusion via social media to be harassment considering the council have failed to acknowledge my email and given the bailiff my email address.

Can I report this episode to the police, and given that I have some health problems, be considered vulnerable (I have the proof to back up my claim).

I consider it a gross intrusion to contact someone via email and, given that I have made an effort to sort this out, someone is not listening.

Any advice on next steps appreciated.

Whilst writing, what are the true costs of Liability Orders?

Many thanks.

Don't think there's much you can do

You responded via email to the council..nothing wrong with them fwding that info to the bailiffs

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Make a formal complaint to the council about incorrect council tax billing, if they are chasing the wrong amount.

If you have nothing outside of your house e.g car, then you just never open up the door to speak to bailiffs ( enforcement officers) have no legal right to any forced entry. You would have to invite them in, which you are not going to.

As long as you deal with the council and are not refusing payment, then you can resolve this. If the council correctly passed it to enforcement, then you will have to pay the enforcement fees. If you pay the council, they should pass on some of the money to the enforcement company.

You would have had several letters before it has got to this stage, so if health is the reason you have not dealt with it, you should seek local help e.g your local councillor, if the council staff are not helping you.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

However, I disagreed with the figures as they did not correspond with an email I had been sent by the Council earlier in the year.

I decided to respond by emailing the council 2 weeks ago to dispute both bills saying that I was disputing the sums owed and that I wanted them to take back the debts as I would not deal with the bailiff. I wanted to deal with the Council directly.

Today, via email, I received notification from the bailiff that they would be sending someone to my property with the Intention of Taking Control of my Goods.

The only people who could have informed the bailiff of my email address was the Council.

I consider this intrusion via social media to be harassment considering the council have failed to acknowledge my email and given the bailiff my email address.

Can I report this episode to the police, and given that I have some health problems, be considered vulnerable (I have the proof to back up my claim).

I consider it a gross intrusion to contact someone via email and, given that I have made an effort to sort this out, someone is not listening.

A very interesting and important question and one that I don't remember seeing here or anywhere else.

The government are very keen on reducing paperwork and anything that assists in this aim will not be frowned upon. As evidence, in 2014, the Taking Control of Goods Regulations 2013 was introduced and under Regulation 8, it actually provides that a Notice of Enforcement must be given using any one of the following methods:

Method of giving notice and who must give it

8.—(1) Notice of enforcement must be given—

(a) by post addressed to the debtor at the place, or one of the places, where the debtor usually lives or carries on a trade or business;

(b) by fax
or other means of electronic communication;

© by delivery by hand through the letter box of the place, or one of the places, where the debtor usually lives or carries on a trade or business;

(d) where there is no letterbox, by affixing the notice at or in a place where it is likely to come to the attention of the debtor;

(e) where the debtor is an individual, to the debtor personally; or

(f) where the debtor is not an individual (but is, for example, a company, corporation or partnership), by delivering the notice to—

(i) the place, or one of the places, where the debtor carries on a trade or business; or

(ii) the registered office of the company or partnership.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/1894/regulation/8/made?view=plain

Hi

Some weeks back I received 2 notices of enforcement via post re Council tax liabilities sent from a bailiff.

Whilst writing, what are the true costs of Liability Orders?

I note from the above that you wrote to the council 2 weeks ago to dispute the amount that you have been billed. If you have not received a response, you really do need to call the council (as opposed to emailing them). This is vitally important as the account is currently with an enforcement agent.

On Thursday I am very much looking forward to attending an industry conference where the Local Government Ombudsman will be one of the speakers. I would anticipate that questions will be raised regarding a recent media article written by him (the Ombudsman) regarding the correct procedure that should be taken if 'customers' (not debtors) wish to query the amount that they have been billed. I intend writing further on this subject after the conference, but the Ombudsman's advice to local authorities is that any customers with such a complaint, should initially advise the local authority of the complaint, and if not resolved within 8 weeks, the customer should take their complaint to the Valuation Tribunal.

Problem is they have obtained a Liability Order on their figures and passed it to bailiffs, adding £75 for the Compliance Letter, and £235 for their visit to the bill alkong with the councils overinflated court fee so you do need to speak to the Revenues department regarding any errors on the bill, and maybe contact your local councillor to intervene on your behalf, you should also try to pay at least some of the bill. Is the query for this years bill?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Problem is they have obtained a Liability Order on their figures and passed it to bailiffs

I should perhaps have clarified the position in my above post that the recent Local Government Ombudsman's advice to all local authorities relates to 'liability disputes'. Whether this could apply once a Liability Order has been obtained, I don't exactly know and will find out more on Thursday and given the importance of the subject, I will start a new thread in the 'discussion area' of this page.

I should perhaps have clarified the position in my above post that the recent Local Government Ombudsman's advice to all local authorities relates to 'liability disputes'. Whether this could apply once a Liability Order has been obtained, I don't exactly know and will find out more on Thursday and given the importance of the subject, I will start a new thread in the 'discussion area' of this page.

Yes this could have a direct bearing on any advice for Ali2, as councils are notorious for obtaining a LO at the slightest provocation even where thereis a dispute; especially if it a Capita infested council. What council is this Ali2?

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!