Am I being treated unfairly at work? Help!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2813 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I work within a big organisation split into smaller sub sections. In the other sub sections there is one person doing my job, but my sub section is much bigger so the role here is split between 2 people, myself and one other, we split the role normally done by one person. I have recently discovered that there has been an agreement to uplift the pay ranking of everyone doing the equivalent of my role, including the colleague who shares the role with me, giving them a nice payrise. I have not been uplifted, or been contacted about it.

I have contacted HR to say I'm aware of this payrise and to ask why i was not considered. I have also sent them a job description of the normal singular role, where I have highlighted who does what out of the two of us, and the tasks are equal, if not slightly weighted on my role. My colleague has also only been here 18 months whilst i have been here much longer, and in fact I was the one responsible for training them.

HR have agreed to reconsider my case, but I would still like answers as to why I wasn't considered the first time. Am I being treated unfairly? Am I right to be asking for answers as to why I wasn't considered? I have also found out I'm pregnant and whilst my immediate organisation are aware, HR are not aware as i don't want my impending Mat leave to have an influence on their decision now.

an employer can pay anyone any sum they want as long as any pay differential is not discriminatory as regards race sex or any other characteristic. As they are reconsidering why not wait and see what happens. If after that they decide that you arent getting the pay rise you have to consider whethyer the job is graded as part of a job evaluation scheme or equal value role and if it is and you arent being paid properly you will have to apply for a grading review or start a grievance.

So, is your colleague male or maybe not pregnant? That would be a starting point if you think that discrimination is involved.