Returning International student with debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2806 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I'm a returning international student with about £3,000 in credit card debts, phone loans and overdraft that I blasted about a year ago. Now that I have a postgraduate offer to study in the UK again, I was wondering what can I do to stay out of trouble.

Obviously, I was young and immature to have been doing such acts back then.

I was hoping to pay continue paying said debts above upon my first return home but the job market is tough and I was not able to even make enough back home to cover (especially when earning below average salary and local currency is worth 0.20 to a quid.

Fast forward, I am definitely sure I would need to open a bank account to survive as Britain is a cashless society, and need an account to receive student allowances.

What are my options at this point?

Most high street banks offer basic accounts with a debit card but no additional facilities like overdrafts etc, they are functional and can have direct debits.

These would be available if you were declined for a standard account for example.

Obviously avoid applying to any bank or bank in a group of banks, that you still owe money to.

Your current debts, ie credit cards, loan, overdraft etc can be dealt with in various ways depending upon their current status

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

GEMHL Settled

Barclaycard Settled

A & L SETTLED IN FULL :lol:

Spml Reluctantly withdrawn

Blackhorse pre 31-7-06 Demand removal sent 23 8 06. ICO ordered removal jan 2007....REMOVED:lol:

Find me first

Comes to mind....

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Find me first

Comes to mind....

I would agree but if the OP needs to open a bank account, that would trigger a search of his/her credit file and no doubt alert any DCA into action.

The obvious answer for now is to open an account and deal with any dca as and when necessary

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

GEMHL Settled

Barclaycard Settled

Blackhorse pre 31-7-06 Demand removal sent 23 8 06. ICO ordered removal jan 2007....REMOVED:lol:

Yep

Dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Guys,

I'm a returning international student with about £3,000 in credit card debts, phone loans and overdraft that I blasted about a year ago. Now that I have a postgraduate offer to study in the UK again, I was wondering what can I do to stay out of trouble.

Obviously, I was young and immature to have been doing such acts back then.

I was hoping to pay continue paying said debts above upon my first return home but the job market is tough and I was not able to even make enough back home to cover (especially when earning below average salary and local currency is worth 0.20 to a quid.

Fast forward, I am definitely sure I would need to open a bank account to survive as Britain is a cashless society, and need an account to receive student allowances.

What are my options at this point?

You can open a basic Bank account, but not with any Bank you owe money to. By registering in the UK again at an address, you can expect to start receiving communication regarding debts again at some point.

Where you might have problems, is obtaining anything where a credit check is carried out e.g contract mobile phone, broadband, rented house/flat in your name, any loans.

As you will be on a visa, you should be aware of UK Home Office rules regarding deliberate non payment of debts. I.e you should not take out finance if you never intend to repay it. If you receive any UK court claims for any debts, you should come back to CAG for advice. Don't ignore them, as you will end up with default court judgement against you and more hassle.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks guys for the constructive response, truly appreciate them.

Find me first

Comes to mind....

I would agree but if the OP needs to open a bank account, that would trigger a search of his/her credit file and no doubt alert any DCA into action.

The obvious answer for now is to open an account and deal with any dca as and when necessary

Great advice! Thanks! but I was wondering about something; hypothetically, would I be able to go undetected with opening no-credit-check bank accounts such as TM(thinkmny)

You can open a basic Bank account, but not with any Bank you owe money to. By registering in the UK again at an address, you can expect to start receiving communication regarding debts again at some point.

Where you might have problems, is obtaining anything where a credit check is carried out e.g contract mobile phone, broadband, rented house/flat in your name, any loans.

As you will be on a visa, you should be aware of UK Home Office rules regarding deliberate non payment of debts. I.e you should not take out finance if you never intend to repay it. If you receive any UK court claims for any debts, you should come back to CAG for advice. Don't ignore them, as you will end up with default court judgement against you and more hassle.

Thanks for the great advice. I was checking my online credit report and I have like several defaults (totaling to about £3,000).

So at this point, if i were to walk up to a bank to open an international student bank account -- they're not gonna put me in cuffs yeah?

a jibe at the DCA's - find me first meaning 'you' when you return to the UK.

dx

and they

No, nobody will put you in cuffs for a civil debt.

You could try somewhere like thinkmoney or maybe a credit union,

they operate bank accounts but with limited functionality depending on the CU.

Post office accounts are similar with limited facilities but all of those options will hinder any applications for rental properties and other credit services because you wont have normal banking facilities and as stated above,

any credit applications will leave searches on your file and wake the sleeping dca's

GEMHL Settled

Barclaycard Settled

Just don't go anywhere near the Houses of Parliament, as you might be put in a pair of pink fluffy handcuffs !

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Just don't go anywhere near the Houses of Parliament, as you might be put in a pair of pink fluffy handcuffs !

But you would have your own personal MP 😂😂

GEMHL Settled

Barclaycard Settled

But you would have your own personal MP 😂😂

I always wondered what they meant when they talked about back channels being useful to help people :oops:

Think we better stop this humour on a thread ( sorry )

Back to more sober reflection.

We get quite a lot of people from other parts of the world asking about whether debt is a criminal issue or whether debt collectors act in the same awful way as they might experience in other countries. Thankfully in the UK debt owed to Banks and privately is purely a civil matter and there are rules that apply to debt collection. I think we tend to forget this, when we moan about tactics of UK debt collectors.

You could try somewhere like thinkmoney or maybe a credit union, they operate bank accounts but with limited functionality depending on the CU. Post office accounts are similar with limited facilities but all of those options will hinder any applications for rental properties and other credit services because you wont have normal banking facilities and as stated above, any credit applications will leave searches on your file and wake the sleeping dca's

Do you think opening up an account like thinkmoney will update credit file?

Since they claim no credit checks -- I wonder how this would play out.

I'm not going for any credit applications

-- i.e. phone / rent / internet

- because I'll be living at a friend's place.

Thinkmoney does actually request for address details for the past 3 years so I'm not sure what to expect upon processing my application.

Honestly, I just need a bank account to receive funds/wages without alerting DCA's and that's pretty much it.

co op do one too

don't think you can avoid showing out mind.

and they

I always wondered what they meant when they talked about back channels being useful to help people :oops:

Think we better stop this humour on a thread ( sorry )

Back to more sober reflection.

We get quite a lot of people from other parts of the world asking about whether debt is a criminal issue or whether debt collectors act in the same awful way as they might experience in other countries. Thankfully in the UK debt owed to Banks and privately is purely a civil matter and there are rules that apply to debt collection. I think we tend to forget this, when we moan about tactics of UK debt collectors.

You could try somewhere like thinkmoney or maybe a credit union,

they operate bank accounts but with limited functionality depending on the CU.

Post office accounts are similar with limited facilities but all of those options will hinder any applications for rental properties and other credit services because you wont have normal banking facilities and as stated above,

any credit applications will leave searches on your file and wake the sleeping dca's

co op do one too

don't think you can avoid showing out mind.

Thanks again for the consideration guys. After much consideration, I have decided that I wanna pay off my debt with a plan that I can afford. What are my options and how do I go about dealing with it?

The £3000 I owe is across 3-4 creditors iirc -- credit card, two separate phone contracts and a bank overdraft. How can I approach all of this at once? Should I be looking for a debt management company or? I can fork out 1/3 of what I owe immediately with the rest on monthly.

In addition, I checked my noddle and obviously I have defaults on all of them with gone-away record.

paying them off wont improve anything credit file wise

defaults are there for 6yrs regardless then the accounts vanish from your file

and they

Thanks again for the consideration guys. After much consideration, I have decided that I wanna pay off my debt with a plan that I can afford. What are my options and how do I go about dealing with it?

The £3000 I owe is across 3-4 creditors iirc -- credit card, two separate phone contracts and a bank overdraft. How can I approach all of this at once? Should I be looking for a debt management company or? I can fork out 1/3 of what I owe immediately with the rest on monthly.

In addition, I checked my noddle and obviously I have defaults on all of them with gone-away record.

If you want to do that then when you return to the UK contact Stepchange who are a debt registered charity and they will assist you. Don't go with a debt management company that charges fees, as some of the money you pay towards debts, will be taken in fees.