Proposed opt-out from charity cold-calling

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2821 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A special register allowing people to prevent charities from pestering them for donations will be created following the death of a Bristol poppy seller.

92-year-old Olive Cooke killed herself in the Avon Gorge last May after battling depression.

Shortly after her death it was revealed she had been bombarded with thousands of messages from charities she supported.

The Fundraising Regulator (FPS) hopes to launch the service this year, subject to approval from members.

HOW WILL IT WORK?

• Users create an account and choose which charities they want to block from contacting them.
  • Each account will last two years - and users will be asked if they wish to renew their details three months before they expire.
  • Charities which spend more than £100,000 per year on fundraising will be required to bankroll the register by contributing £15,000 annually.
  • It will only apply to fundraising communications and not information letters, or calls put out by charities.

http://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/2016-08-26/charity-regulator-planned-to-stop-persistant-donation-pestering/

https://www.fundraisingregulator.org.uk/about/purpose-strategy/

I'm partly in favour of this as I already support five charities which I chose to support - not because of being bombarded by sales calls and mail shots - but because I wanted to support their activities as they were close to my heart for personal reasons.

What I do not like is the constant barrage of cold calling - though this has tapered off considerably over recent years - the pile of junk that comes unsolicited through my mail box and being accosted constantly on my local high street by people probably on commission doing 'charity' surveys.

What makes me a little concerned is the proposed £15,000 being taken from charities to fund this. Surely a better proposal would simply be to fine those that do solicit funds from those that don't want the hassle and publicise the fines? Most fund raisers would soon get the point and stop their hustling activities against those that don't want the hastles.