Are Ebay covered by the CCA? Debt Mountain Vs Intrum Justicia

debt_mountain
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5800 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I got a snotty letter from Intrum Justicia say I owe money to Ebay. The name and adress are spelt differently to mine, but similar.

I have sent a letter disputing the debt (have since had another threatening letter. Can't do that when in dispute) but was wondering if an Ebay seller account is covered by the CCA, it is credit as you pay it in arrears but can I sent the CCA letter asking for true copies etc...

I love winding up these **** bags.

They say I have to give them my ebay details and email adrees so they can confirm them......no chance. You give me the evidence I own the debt.

If I have helped click my scales....

Find my threads by clicking here

Whenever you owe money to ebay, they will usually send you multiple emails in the below format

Dear Joe bloggs,

We did not yet receive your payment for eBay fees. A balance of GBP9.34 is now due on your seller account E498598930 with User ID joeblogs. Fees are charged for eBay listings and services.

Please follow the instructions below to review your account and to pay your outstanding fees of GBP9.34. If your account becomes overdue, your ability to bid and list will be restricted within a few days. You can pay via PayPal, credit card or cheque.

Here's how to check your account status and make a payment:

1. Go to the eBay.co.uk homepage.

2. Click on "My eBay" at the top of the page. You may be asked to sign in.

3. Click on "Seller Account" on your My eBay page. This is located on the left-hand side, under the heading "My Account".

4. Follow the prompts on this page to review your Account Status, and select a method to pay your eBay fees.

If you do not have access to your account or prefer not to pay online, please post your payment to the address below. Please note that these take longer to be processed than online payments. When sending your payment, please include a copy of this notice and write your account ID E498598930 on the cheque.

EIAG Accounts

c/o Citibank European Lockbox

P.O. Box 4341

Worthing BN13 1WY

United Kingdom

For more information on paying your eBay fees, please copy the following link into a new browser window:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/account/payfees.html

If you have already paid your eBay fees, please disregard this message. If you have any queries or require assistance, please use our Help system by clicking on the "Help" link at the top of most eBay pages. From there, you can click on "Contact Us" to send an email to Customer Support.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Regards,

You should be able to see in your ebay account (if you have one), if you owe them any money, as well as recieving the above emails several times a week. Email ebays customer services dept directly, and in no way give out any personal details or your ebay account.

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

but was wondering if an Ebay seller account is covered by the CCA, it is credit as you pay it in arrears but

Your seller account is not Regulated if that's what your asking.

It is short term credit invoiced Monthly. If such credit was within the remit of the CC Act the Milkman and Newsagent would need signed agreements.

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS

IThey say I have to give them my ebay details and email adrees so they can confirm them......no chance. You give me the evidence I own the debt.

Sounds like a phishing expidition to me....

I would ignore them totally and report the matter to eBay

All advice is offered in good faith based on my own research and understanding of the laws involved, however I'm not a lawyer!

Please dont rely on annoymous advice posted on a public forum without checking it out for yourself first!

• 4 weeks later...

Got a letter from Geoffry Parker Bourne chasing this debt, that is not in my name or my address.

I faxed them saying it is in dispute and I donot like the wording of their letter "hey will not engage in any discussion about the debt", so I told them I was going to complain to the law society.

GPB is probably just allowing IJ to use their headed paper but that tough, the letter looks like it is them.

I also sent the fax to GPB to IJ and a cover letter saying it is in dispute and they have yet to provide evidence I should have anything to do with this debt.

Got a lovely repl y today saying that they have closed the file and returned it to Ebay.

Lets see if ebay try anything with another DCA.

Anothe good CAG result.

by the way this was all for £65!!!

I had the same, although for a mere £35 with regards to a duff sale. Having contacted eBay numerous times, and only given their usual cut/paste replies - I withheld payment until the matter was given a decent hearing. It wasn't, and I told them this - but it was passed to IJ, who sent 2 letters, following those was the GPB letter.

I rattled-off a letter back to IJ and suggested that they prove this "debt" exists and I'd like information on it. I didn't send any official request or money, and this was about a month ago - So I guess this one is closed, too ?

The BidsterMeister

Helper of the hapless and hopeless...

Got a letter from Geoffry Parker Bourne appolgising from the tone of the letter and that the wording was informing me that they would not enter into a discussion but this did not mean they would not talk to me but rather that we talked to the original DCA. They also implied that the letter was sent direct from IJ which we all suspected anyway.

So lets see if Ebay send this debt out to another DCA ******.

• 3 months later...

I've received a very similar letter to the one above. Its not quite my name. Its not quite my address. (London instead of my town, but my postcode) But its for £1108.

Does anybody have an example of a letter that I could write them to advise its in dispute. I've checked my ebay account and its in debt by 58p which will go out when they bill me. I've never had to write one of these before.

Also, if I sign my name on it, doesn't that just give them information? Won't the next letter that they send me just have my name and correct address ?

I'd appreciate any advice. I'm all over the place on this. Thanks.

• 1 year later...

Hi, Ive also had a letter from eBays debt collecters, Intrum Justicia claiming £19.99. I owed Ebay £11.99, which I paid 2 days before the letter arrived. I was advised by a rude young man that the additional £8.00 was an aministrational charge and if I paid ebay before the 3rd July that the admin fees would be cancelled. I hadnt, I paid the 7th. I ended up hanging up on him as he was so rude and wasnt listening to a word I had to say.

As I paid EBay the fee's direct (Which means I accepted liability to the debt) Do I still have to pay the debt collection the £8.00?

No - tell them the matter has been resolved with the original creditor, and as they have accepted the payment (I trust your MyeBay account balance is 0?), the matter is closed and you will not enter into any further correspondence with them. I would also send eBay a message requesting them to cease the pursuit of this "debt" via IJ as the money has been paid.

IJ should give up after that - but tell them if they want paying, you have a payment processing fee of £10 that will be required before you pay them the £8 they want :)

The BidsterMeister

Helper of the hapless and hopeless...

Not sure whether this should be a new thread, but ebay have just charged me £5.00 admin fee because I cancelled my direct debit and the £9.75 seller fee wasn't paid when they tried to collect (I changed bank accounts and forgot to tell them or to set up a new one). As soon as I realised I paid via Paypal, but they still insist I pay this fee. They will not give me a breakdown of the £5.00 to prove it costs that to automatically put a charge on my account so I told them they have 14 days to refund my account, or I will take them to court...what chance do I have? Everytime they email, it's a different person, so there is no consistency. I'm very frustrated!

Capital One - SETTLED IN FULL £670.00 - 27.07.06

:D

Halifax Bank - SETTLED IN FULL £307.00 - 04.08.06

:wink:

Medinland

Data Protection Act letter sent 20.06.06

Moneyclaim started 24.07.06 (£735)

Defence submitted 02.08.06

My response submitted 07.08.06

Their response submitted 10.08.06

Hearing date: 19.12.06 watch this space!

I WON!!!

:rolleyes: