style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2903 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Bit of a long story

I rented a room out and my husband also needed storage so he rented a 'cupboard' ( no electricty / power points or anything). I made the mistake of putting my name on both because I didnt realise the whole to do with rates.

So i had my name on both for a couple months and the lovely council sent me a huge bill - I managed to speak to rates and the allowed me to fill in relief forms and send back by email. I was then told i had nil outstanding.

fast forward to last week and the bailffs turned up on my door - apparently because id had the cupboard in my name as well as a room i owed £174 which i had no paperwork for so they hammered my door down for £500 !

of course i paid it as two burley men clamping my car on my driveway was a tad embarassing !

At the same point this cupboard was in my husbands name for a whole 2 months - again i filled in the paperwork but the council told me they couldnt read the paperwork and that it was put in his name up until now ( it was released in july last year so maybe the owner hasnt admitted to this ? or they cant tie up dates themselves! ) I told mr bailff that was wrong info and that my husband does not by any means owe £900 towards the rates on a cupboard ! he said ok ill leave that one and let you contact the council !

In the mean time i panicked (understandably) and i emailed the guy helping me at the council - starightaway he emailed me back the relief form and i had it filled in and emailed him straight back

Bailiff came wed 25 - i had emailed council back by 27th

In this time ive had a week away with the kids, just walked in and Mr Bailff - although he said he would give me time to resolve and he has my phone number ! has written to my husband on 27th (im not sure if the dates have crossed over ) and weve walked in for it to say hes arranging for removal men to come in to my home and take goods away for the value of £900 !

so now its 7 days today - im not sure if the council have notified him that ive tried to resolve the problem and im absolutely panic struck now for what the weekend may bring :-( i dont know what to do with myself next if im honest - the company dealing with this is called equita

PLEASE can someone help me ? Im at my wits end :-(

I thought he may have called me too to let me know of his intentions - plus when he walked in he saw that we were going away as he stepped over the packed case and watched me take our spends out the tin :-(

Hi

In the mean time i panicked (understandably) and i emailed the guy helping me at the council - starightaway he emailed me back the relief form and i had it filled in and emailed him straight back

Bailiff came wed 25 - i had emailed council back by 27th

In this time ive had a week away with the kids, just walked in and Mr Bailff - although he said he would give me time to resolve and he has my phone number ! has written to my husband on 27th (im not sure if the dates have crossed over ) and weve walked in for it to say hes arranging for removal men to come in to my home and take goods away for the value of £900 !

so now its 7 days today - im not sure if the council have notified him that ive tried to resolve the problem and im absolutely panic struck now for what the weekend may bring :-( i dont know what to do with myself next if im honest - the company dealing with this is called equita (

It is probably my fault, but I am having difficulty understanding your above post.

It would seem to me that you contacted the council after the first bailiff visit and by the 27th May, you had emailed them the 'relief form' (presumably the Small Business Rate Relief form).

You have been away for the past 7 days, and have returned home to find a 'removal' notice letter from Equita dated 27th May to advise that they will be arranging to attend the premises to remove goods.

It is obvious to me that the letter from Equita dated 27th May would have been sent without knowing about the Small Business Rates application.

I am not sure whether the 'business' premises that the debt relates to is an office or is your home address. If home, then if a visit is made during the weekend, you have no obligation to allow the agent into your property.

First thing Monday morning you must call the council. Please post back with an update.