Party Wall works

jc10s
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3009 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there, I am putting up a small extension on the back of our house, 3x3 metres with a pitched roof above it the pitch goes on to the party wall and our neighbour was looking at building out the same on his side at a later date. we started work a good few months ago and the roof has finally gone on this weekend but only structurally.

After signing all the drawings saying it looked good and we can build the work on the cavity line he now said he wants a box gutter putting in, in advance for when he does his work (prob never happen) he had some damaged guttering on his side that had a temporary repair in it and when we started removing the guttering on our side it came off about 12- 18 inches on his side where the cast iron had been cracked.

I know i have to make good any damage but can i not just stick the piece in. Is there any restrictions of when i can work on the house as he has said i should not be allowed to work sundays.....pretty hard to do as i cannot always work in the week at home. when putting the foundations in we also lifted up some cracked concrete on his side and did some small damage to other parts, i said i would re concrete the damaged bit but his whole drive and back area is already cracked and damaged....

is there a timescale to repair what i have done?

Edited by Andyorch
Paras

Just to add I have got on well so far about it but he has got a right bee in his bonnet about the new guttering saying i have to have it how he wants it and doesn't want a gutter on his side of the wall even though he agreed at the start. he thinks by having it over the cavity wall that it will stop water going on his side if it blocks up......

i said i was happy to cover the costs and put it in to be pleasant and make things easier but he got quite nasty last night saying i have damaged his guttering that was already damaged and said i was going to replace that whole section for him when i could get to the wholesalers. i showed him the broken piece but he still remained aggressive and unpleasant saying he was ringing building control up and complaining that i had damaged his property

If you are using a surveyor or architect for the works, you should speak to them. They should have assessed any issues with neighbours and should know how to handle this, taking into account the site issues. It would be difficult for anyone on a forum to comment, as they have not seen all documents.

When my neighbour had a recent extension to the back of her house, she worked with the neighbour attached to her. They had to make changes to guttering and both neighbours worked together on it.

As for working hours, i don't think Sundays are excluded. But i am sure there is some guidance not to do work before 8am and not after 11pm. Your local council may have rules they work to, when they deal with complaints.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

thanks for the reply......

I have seen the attached drawings to construct new dormer to the side and rear elevation, with rear kitchen extension with bedroom above at.... I have no objections to the kitchen extension wall being constructed with boundary line being the centre of the cavity wall (in line with the existing party wall) allowing No........ the option to join up to it at a later date without objections. Also the rear dormer can be built up on leaf of No ...... on the party wall, with appropriate cladding and flashings on the outside to make water tight. The dormer on the party wall must have opaque/frosted glass. Mr ....... agrees upon completion of the building works at No ..... to reinstate any paths, fence and garden which have been affected by this work. Upon completion the party wall must be left in finished appropriate surface matching the existing brickwork.

this is the document signed by him last year he also signed the drawings showing guttering over the boundary line. i was finished for 5pm saturday and 6 pm sunday. it was later than i wanted to work but was on my own trying to felt up the roof. there is no issue with the guttering on his side as it cant cause any damage it will just run off onto the ground for a short time

Just continue the work to the plans and what was agreed. If you have any works which might cause any inconveience or concern to the neighbour, give them advance warning.

As you can imagine, if they were having work done next door, you would be keeping an eye on it. If you were in a mood, you might react out of fashion if something annoyed you.

You could let things cool down for a couple of days and have a chat with them.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Is there any restrictions of when i can work on the house as he has said i should not be allowed to work sundays.....pretty hard to do as i cannot always work in the week at home.

There are restrictions on times when construction work can be carried out. However, it varies depending on what rules your local council have published and also on any restrictions given in your planning consent. As an example of council rules, please see: http://www.royalgreenwich.gov.uk/info/412/pollution_control_-_noise/654/noise_from_building_works

As with anything liable to cause a short term nuisance, it is best to liaise with the neighbours and keep the hours and noise to a reasonable level.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.