Avoiding invented car hire damage

FTMDave
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3005 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

this may seem a strange thread, as I'm not currently in any difficulty, but I'm trying to be proactive about a possible future problem.

I hire a car a couple of times a year, and have done for several years (I'm British but live in Italy), and have never had any serious problems with any of the companies I've used, mainly in the UK, but also in Malta and Poland. In fact I've found them to be very professional with good customer service. I also make sure I have full insurance, not from the companies themselves but for a car hire excess insurance provider, which is much cheaper.

I've hired a car for a holiday in Iceland in August, at Keflavik airport. I did some research before booking and all of the companies, bar none, have a reputation for inventing non-existent damage, often several months after the car has been returned. In the end I hired a car with the company that wanted least money! As providing a credit card is obligatory when hiring a car, it's not a case of them demanding money, it's a case of money being taken from the card without the card holder knowing.

Has anybody got any advice about how to avoid such a rip-off? As I say, I've only had positive experiences in the past but want to be prepared. Photographing the car in front of the car hire firm is a must. But I've heard about cancelling the credit card, and about telling the credit card company not to pay the car hire company, etc. I'm talking about a UK credit card.

I want to emphasise that I would always pay for REAL damage incurred, it's just that I want to be prepared for a possible [problem].

Any advice gratefully received!

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi everyone,

this may seem a strange thread, as I'm not currently in any difficulty, but I'm trying to be proactive about a possible future problem.

I hire a car a couple of times a year, and have done for several years (I'm British but live in Italy), and have never had any serious problems with any of the companies I've used, mainly in the UK, but also in Malta and Poland. In fact I've found them to be very professional with good customer service. I also make sure I have full insurance, not from the companies themselves but for a car hire excess insurance provider, which is much cheaper.

I've hired a car for a holiday in Iceland in August, at Keflavik airport. I did some research before booking and all of the companies, bar none, have a reputation for inventing non-existent damage, often several months after the car has been returned. In the end I hired a car with the company that wanted least money! As providing a credit card is obligatory when hiring a car, it's not a case of them demanding money, it's a case of money being taken from the card without the card holder knowing.

Has anybody got any advice about how to avoid such a rip-off? As I say, I've only had positive experiences in the past but want to be prepared. Photographing the car in front of the car hire firm is a must. But I've heard about cancelling the credit card, and about telling the credit card company not to pay the car hire company, etc. I'm talking about a UK credit card.

I want to emphasise that I would always pay for REAL damage incurred, it's just that I want to be prepared for a possible ****.

Any advice gratefully received!

Return the car hours before you are due to leave. Insist on the car being inspected and written confirmation provided.

I always take the full insurance through the hire company, so there is nothing to pay if the car was damaged. Yes it works out more expensive, but then i don't have the worry of my credit card being charged with an excess or damage amount, which i could not check.

In Iceland, the issue may be that they need to put the car on a ramp to inspect it underneath. Given some of the offroad driving that will be done, they may see more damage than in some hire locations.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

take lots of photos of the car when you pick it up

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I'd only ever pay for car hire on a pre-paid credit card so that they can't charge you more than you agreed.

Some might not accept a pre paid card.

I noticed with one car hire company, you had to accept a £200 deposit on Credit card, even if taking out full insurance, so there would never be any need to charge for accident damage. What would the deposit be for ? I suppose late return of the car ?

I'd only ever pay for car hire on a pre-paid credit card so that they can't charge you more than you agreed.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/holidays/article-2710241/Find-holiday-cash-card-frozen-especially-decide-rent-car-whilst-youre-abroad.html

So, you'd have to load extra onto the card to cover the "pre-authorisation" amount, and then not be able to use those funds until the pre-auth was released.

If the pre-auth funds weren't loaded onto the card they wouldn't accept it for the hire.

If the pre-auth funds were loaded they'd be tied up, AND still wouldn't protect you against being charged them for "damage".

Poor advice to suggest using a pre-paid card!

Some people might not want to use their main credit card that they use for other general spending. Depends on the excess levels and how much you would have to load a prepaid car with.

The risk in the OP's case, is that having separate excess insurance, means this hire care company could potentially apply a very large sum to a card. They are then relying on the excess insurers paying out in reasonable time, so they can pay off the card. If it is their general card with other spending they are paying interest until resolved. I am note sure hire car companies and excess insurers have a record of being efficient without any fuss created. This is why i always take out hire companies insurance so nil excesses.

Thanks to everyone for taking the trouble to answer.

As for insurance, I've already gone down the road of taking out the minimum insurance possible with the car hire company, but a full policy with a car hire excess insurance company, after specifically asking by mail if everything is included (gravel, ash damage, etc.), which it is.

I don't think the pre-paid credit card is an option. I once hired from Hertz at Malta airport, and the bloke in charge chatted on to me about how he was sick of Italians presenting pre-paid cards, which he couldn't accept, as such cards could be full of credit today but empty tomorrow (pre-paid card use is particularly widespread in Italy).

I'll take your advice about taking photos - and making sure they see me doing so - when I pick the car up, when I drop it off (getting there in good time) and insisting on an inspection and signed confirmation.

Thanks again!

I have never had any issues and i expect most don't. The sc*m with some hire companies is that they use their own garage repair shops and the damage reports are hardly independent. They are not going to have a damaged car out of action for too long, so repairs are done quickly.

I wish at some point that the EU looks at these hire car arrangements and stops credit cards being used in the current way. Just have a compulsory insurance requirement with nil excess, either through hire company or separate. My Sister who did not want a credit card found out years ago that it is very difficult to travel without a credit card for hire cars and hotels. Stop forcing people onto credit when they don't want it !

Use a camera. Take full pics of every part of the car, including close ups of any dents or scratches, and if possible video them too.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Also, in some countries where they have high colume footfall ( USA ) for example, they will NOT come with you to the aisles unless you request it.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I have never had any issues and i expect most don't. The sc*m with some hire companies is that they use their own garage repair shops and the damage reports are hardly independent. They are not going to have a damaged car out of action for too long, so repairs are done quickly.

I wish at some point that the EU looks at these hire car arrangements and stops credit cards being used in the current way. Just have a compulsory insurance requirement with nil excess, either through hire company or separate. My Sister who did not want a credit card found out years ago that it is very difficult to travel without a credit card for hire cars and hotels. Stop forcing people onto credit when they don't want it !

I fully agree with you UB, but the hire companies wouldn't make as much 'easy' profit if what you suggest was regulated.