Can I record my PIP assessment - ** WON **

sirbob10
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2992 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

My husband has another PIP assessment tomorrow the last one being 15 months ago but I've been told I must provide my own recording equipment and leave a copy with them. I must also have the permission of the person doing the assessment and ATOS themselves.

I've googled about recording without permission which it says isn't illegal but it can only be used for personal reference and not shared with a 3rd party.

Can anyone offer any advice.

To 'officially' record the assessment, you need to provide properly calibrated recording equipment which produces 2 simulataneous copies in either CD or tape format. The equipment is prohibitively expensive and well beyond the means of most claimants.

If you openly record the assessment by any other means, regardless of having permission from ATOS and the assessor, the assessment will be halted and you will be asked to stop. If you refuse, the appointment will be terminated and recorded as 'failure to co-operate' with subsequent consequences so far as benefit payment is concerned.

If you record the assessment covertly and are discovered, again you will be asked to stop etc, but it could also really annoy the assessor so that they terminate immediately without asking you to stop first.

I have heard that some people have a recording device in a top pocket and openly put their phone on the table, also recording, so that when asked to stop they can switch off the phone and no one thinks to ask about any other device. This does of course again run the risk of having the assessment terminated immediately.

As you've already asked about recording, I imagine they may be more vigilant than usual regarding covert devices. It does however make you wonder what they're trying to hide when making it so difficult to record an assessment.

Obviously it's down to you and hubby as to whether you take the risk of recording covertly or not, assuming you don't have access to 'regulation' recording equipment.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

i know some digital recorders are expensive but in terms of dual recording cant you use two cheaper recorders? as long as you can afford both I think some are 40-50 quid each

also what about their regulation equipment and them being obliged to provide this (or postpone till they can) or you will complain to your MP about it!

It is not illegal to record your interview/appointment covertly.

If the person/persons conducting the interview/appointment discover that the proceedings are being recorded they may end the proceedings there and then. Apart from that all they can do is send you a letter expressing disapproval and repeating some hallow threats that they can't legally exercise.

However, if you manage to record proceedings covertly without being discovered you may do what you wish with it. That includes sharing it. The worst that they can do is send you a letter saying how naughty you've been and ask you to sign a letter promising not to do it again.

This link gives a FOI response to questions on recording of interviews:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/236788/response/584074/attach/html/3/Recordings%20by%20claimants%2016%2007%2014.pdf.html

They say in this response from Nov 2014 that "This guidance is currently under review and guidance will be published in due course."

As at Feb 2016 the promised review is still ongoing and therefore the guidance from 2011 and 2014 is still the definitive authority.

A more detailed copy of the guidance can be found at this link:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/91474/response/225710/attach/html/7/Recordings%20by%20claimants%20v17%20FINAL%2030%20Aug%202011.doc.html

When they say that you may be ".......acting in law as a data controller under the Data Protection Act...." if you post your recording on the internet, that is as silly as saying that you are a data controller on UJM if you post your CV on that site.

May be a bit late for tomorrow but there are 20 pages of recording and recording related devices, some as low as around £10 on Amazon at this link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=digital+recording

Anyway, it's up to you if you choose to chance recording covertly, good luck if you do.

i know some digital recorders are expensive but in terms of dual recording cant you use two cheaper recorders? as long as you can afford both I think some are 40-50 quid each

also what about their regulation equipment and them being obliged to provide this (or postpone till they can) or you will complain to your MP about it!

There is no requirement to provide recording equipment for PIP assessments, this only applies to ESA.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Some really great suggestions from other posters.

But do you wish to record the PIP Assessment for your own records? or did you want to record it so it's on record with ATOS?

If it's for your own personal record, then I'd suggest if you have a smartphone you can DL a free app like Voice Recorder or Smart Voice Recorder. (There are a few different options) & leave it recording in your bag/pocket etc. ATOS won't have a clue.

If it's the second option then RMW post states what to do.

Good luck with the PIP Assessment!

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it!!

Thank you for all the advice. So far from his assessments things have been fine so hoping this one is no different.

Just as I'm managing to stop him stressing about this PIP assessment a good old ESA questionnaire has arrived in the post.

I think it went fine. Lady who conducted assessment was nice and pointed us in the right direction to get some extra support.

ATOS conducted the assessment but I've no idea who'll be doing the ESA. Going to give it a few days before tackling those forms.

• 4 weeks later...

That's great news, sirbob, I'm really pleased for you.

Like RMW, I know what a relief it is when a decision arrives that's in your favour.

I'll amend your thread title to show the result, and thank you for the update. :)

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum