The work programme

louise2012
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2306 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Lou... Keep your chin up on this one, it will knock you down, but keep thinking positive as its worth it in the long run :)

If you are unhappy for whatever reason, they are plenty of places that you can go to talk to someone :) , Also you can be referred by your doctor if need be.

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just an update, I've been referred to People plus for the work programme as I went to my job centre earlier this morning.

This will be the rebranded A4e after their reputation took a hammering in light of scandals and fraud cases reported in the press. I doubt the change in name has brought about any improvement in services. Judging by this report, some of the ex-employees will soon be referred back as "customers".

Perhaps you should start your first meeting by giving them advice on job hunting and surviving on meager benefits :madgrin:

If you need advice, or just want somewhere to vent your frustrations, we will be here to help.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

I received the letter this morning from them and have to go on Tuesday morning.

Well that's plenty of time to prepare....not that you have a life and are sat waiting for them, ridiculous, truly are a specious outfit, in years to come the population will look back on this for what it really is, social cleansing.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

I received the letter this morning from them and have to go on Tuesday morning.

If you can just stay loose, relaxed, you'll be OK.

Remember not to give the impression that you are going to be a 'walk-over' Obviously you don't want to appear confrontational either, so no punching, kicking or gouging.

Remember that you are not obliged to give personal details about yourself, you do not need to sign a privacy or personal data waiver or any document they present for signing. Neither do you have to disclose phone number, email addresses or hard copies of your CV. They tend to get funny when you insist on your rights, but it's up to you whether or not you feel up to giving them a run for their money.

We're here for you when you get through, and although we can't rub you down with a wet sponge, a friendly chat about how you got on might surely help.

I've been on the people plus website and I'm getting really worried about it now as back in september last year I completed the work skills course so I know about Interview techniques and how to write a cv etc. I just hope that I won't have to re-do all this again on the work programme :(

[...] in september last year I completed the work skills course so I know about Interview techniques and how to write a cv etc. I just hope that I won't have to re-do all this again on the work programme :(

You have one of two ways to play this if you do get offered the "course" again. Inform them that you have already completed the course back in November so having to do it again so soon is inappropriate to your needs. Alternatively, as I did when offered a range of basic maths & english "courses", make the suggestion that the staff would probably benefit more from the activities.

is the work programme an all day thing?

Not wanting to alarm you, but I'm afraid it lasts for two years and the only way of getting out of it is to: a) Enter employment. b) Migrate to benefits that would exempt you from participating on a mandatory basis. c) Cease claiming qualifying benefits due to other reasons.

The Work Progamme provider can mandate you to participate in activities that last for a whole day or even weeks, but the routine appointments usually last for less than an hour.

Well I went this morning and have to go twice next wednesday both in the morning & afternoon for a job search session along with all the other times that I have to go and also to see someone from the money advice service. I'm so not happy and practically in tears :(

Is the government's way of punishing us for not having a job !!!!

Is this appointment something the WP provider has mandated you to attend ?

If so, you are under no obligation to discuss personal finances with them. This information comes under the heading of sensitive personal data, and if they press the issue, tell 'em to read the Data Protection Act.

Whilst on the subject of finances, make sure you get all your travel expenses refunded in full. The WP providers are required to reimburse all reasonable travel expenses as part of their contract with the DWP. The only requirement on your part is to use the cheapest travel option (subject to personal circumstances) and present a ticket or valid receipt.

Well I went this morning and have to go twice next wednesday both in the morning & afternoon for a job search session along with all the other times that I have to go and also to see someone from the money advice service. I'm so not happy and practically in tears :(

Is the government's way of punishing us for not having a job !!!!

You have not said why you are so not happy. What happened at the interview this morning?

Were there any other new starters?

Were you asked to sign their documents and/or forms? Did you sign? Do you know what they were about?

Did you hand over email address, phone number or CV?

Was any mention made of an "Action Plan"?

Are all the appointments they made for you mandatory? Was it in writing? Did you question any of them or give reasonable grounds for them not being suitable for you?

You are still on day one, and quite honestly you ain't seen nothing yet. If you go along with everything they throw at you while you are there and then go to pieces when you leave the premises, you are in for a turbulent and traumatic 2 years.

Yes all the appointments that were given to me were made mandatory and I was given a form which asked questions like did I have a doctor, dentist, a cv, email address etc which I had to tick yes or no.

When I told them that I had the job centre on monday to sign on and have to go there a few hours later I got the impression that they weren't interested.

When I told them that I had the job centre on monday to sign on and have to go there a few hours later I got the impression that they weren't interested.

Your appointments at the Job Centre take priority over any activity that the People Plus advisors mandate you to attend. Failure to attend a JCP appointment will lead to a sanction. Failing to attend a Work Programme appointment that clashes with one at the JCP might generate a benefit doubt, but pointing out the conflicting times will usually see it being dismissed.

I had a situation a few years back when a Work Programme course clashed with my signing on time. We were all told at the start of the course on the Monday that we were excused from signing on that week. It turned out we were not and were still expected to attend the Job Centre to sign on.

Thankfully i had the foresight to go down to the Job Centre during a lunch break on the first day of the course and speak to my Job Centre advisor who told me what the work programme had said was rubbish and that we still had to sign on.

I went back and told everybody on the course that we still had to sign on. Had i not gone and double checked with the jobcentre then the 10 people on the course would have received a benefit doubt.

You definitely need to be aware of the guidance and the rules - they'll try anything if they think you don't know the rules or are afraid to speak up.

I'm currently on the CWP - halfway through now,thank God - with Groundworks and once again I've had to 'educate' them on what they're allowed to do and what they can't. A few days ago I even printed out a page from the CWP Provider Guidance and gave it to one of the staff with the comment 'This is what you should be doing'. He was not amused :) Also had to report the same guy for trying to over-ride the conditions on my Claimant Commitment. Unbelievable arrogance.

Just like all the other work providers; same failings. They're not even issuing regular MAN notices which means that clients are on placement or jobsearch without any sort of mandation - I myself am missing 6 weeks worth of MAN's. Come the end of my course, all this will be handed over to DWP Contracts for investigation and I hope it stops them getting any further contracts.

Glad to hear that you are enjoying your stint on CWP and putting them in their place and that you still manage to give them some grief.

While you are there it might amuse you to rattle their cage by asking questions about insurance cover etc. What sort of insurance covers you, covers them, covers anyone else, if by some act or omission on your part there is an accident, even a fatality? If they say the Provider does all that, suggest they check or else they might find themselves acting outside the law and liable to substantial fines and/or even jail.

You are entitled to sight of their insurance policy as well as any other health & safety regulations applicable. Same with their first aid policies and sight of their accident book. If they failed to comply with any of those request a quick call to the Health & Safety Executive would bring all sorts hell down on their heads.

They're hanging themselves quite nicely - I'm just giving them the rope :)

Placement guy is new to this area and he hasn't a clue about the geography - hence him trying to send people on placements way past the 90 minute limit. Unbelievable. Apparently he's applied for another job so with a bit of luck we'll be shot of him as fast as he appeared.

Do these people come from a mould on a factory production line?? I'm sure they do!

I know I've only started the work programme last Tuesday at People Plus and have attended each session (an hour job search) so far, the person who I saw hasn't asked me for my CV yet.

Is this normal practice to start off with ?

Thanks and sorry if this sort of thing has been mentioned before?

Is this normal practice to start off with ?

Running around like headless chickens, not knowing what they should be doing from one minute to the next. Making things up as they go along, and not having a clue what the previous advisers have said.

Pretty much standard procedure for many W.P. providers. Use it to your advantage, should if they ask for your CV. tell them had it on day one and if they have lost it, you will be making a complaint to the ICO :madgrin:

Use it to your advantage, should if they ask for your CV. tell them had it on day one and if they have lost it, you will be making a complaint to the ICO :madgrin:

Naughty but I like it! :thumb:

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

• 1 month later...

Sorry to be a pain but I have one or two issues at the moment with the DWP wanting my bank statements (still not received the letter requesting these yet). Anyway I went to the work programme today and my advisor wants to me to apply for other jobs (ie cleaning jobs) as at the moment I'm currently looking for Admin work as I'm not getting interviews at the moment. Also my appointment was at 9am today and didn't get taken to 10am which I spent the hour looking for jobs.

Never a pain, so no need to apologise.

As you have been unemployed for over a year, you are expected to broaden your job search in to other areas where you have transferable skills. That said, most cleaning jobs are part time, involve working evenings or nights, and can be quite unpleasant work. Depending on the type of cleaning, you could be exposed to a range of quite hazardous chemicals and materials which might affect your health. If you are reliant on public transport and/or have any medical condition, this would effectively rule out most cleaning jobs.

As for the tardiness of your adviser: Remind him/her that you are required to be on time for any appointment, therefor it is only reasonable to expect them to also be on time.

I did the work programme and to be honest breezed it. Never had RSI then mind so wounder if they would make suitable adaptions so i could currently job search. 1 run in i had was when a big contract come in for warehouse work. A group of us drafted in and 3 or 4 advisors trying to pressure me to apply for a job i had no chance of holding down.

I was expected to get a bus approx 45 + min travel then a mini bus they put on another 35 min + travel and do a hard days graft. No way i could sit on a crampt bus for that long being bounced around without sharp pains going down my leg. Had a row. Told the chap who id never met before to come look at the car i was driving which i needed 2 or 3 cushions + a wedge to take the dip out the seat so i could drive to the work programme.

He had no interest and started to try thretening me that the job centre would make me take a similar job. Luckily my work advisor at A4e as it was known then was pretty good and probably written me off. Remember him trying to get me to be a postman mind. Eck about i was riddled with chronic back and leg pain and this he thought was suitable. He wernt a bad egg mind and think he is now at the Princes trust where we met again. He was getting excited about a Mcdonalds contract. All i needed to hear. A ex farmer, ex telescopic fork lift driver being offered the chance to go to mcdonalds. Pretty clueless.

Do have a friend now who is doing the programme and it does sound more intense than when i did it. Think he has to job search twice a week whilst i was once a week and monthly appointments with my advisor. My advice is keep your head down and play the game which is what i'm having to do.

A question i have not sure if this is the right place but regarding universal job search i was told at the Job centre i had to choose 3 jobs to search in my commitment form is this true as whilst reading the forum its opened my eyes to how slimy these people can be.